Re: Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.

Go to solution
Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Thanks for the documentation (and dealing with our barrage of questions!)

That being said, I'm still going to throw another question: is lead ID now assigned at the time of someone becoming an anonymous record or known record? If behavior is changing from today, then how is it changing?

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

The ID is assigned at the time a lead is promoted to known.  Prior to then, there is no actual person record, and thus no ID.  The information gathered around anon leads is correlated to their munchkin cookie until then.

Mark_Halliday1
Level 2

For my own clarification (and hopefully for the benefit of others): Marketo will store anonymous activities in log files, with a specific retention time - say 60 days(?). If that person becomes one of the 2%-3% of traffic that converts, Marketo will create a lead (with lead id) and pull back any activity data in the raw logs associated with that anonymous lead. Is that correct?

If I had RTP, would I maintain a longer anonymous history? Are marketing automation and RTP foundationally on the same platform (similar to a force.com architecture)? What type of integration exists between these two products?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mark,

What you describe is correct. The web activity will be logged against the cookie. I understand that the retention will be 90 days.

I cannot answer for RTP retention.

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Mark Halliday​,

You're essentially correct but there's one small detail. Greg's correct--the default pruning time when web activity is stored is 90 days, not 60, so as long as the web activity has occurred within that time frame, it will be carried over into the new lead record that is created.

As for RTP, the short version is that this upgrade will have no affect on RTP at all.

As for the architecture, there isn't any extended web activity that would be pulled back into Marketo. I honestly don't know what the pruning policy is with RTP off the top of my head, but even if it's longer, the integration doesn't currently work in a way that would push that web visit data between RTP and Marketo. As it stands today, (the integration is growing every day) a lead will have two cookies, one for Marketo (Munchkin) and a separate one for RTP. The integration will connect the RTP lead record with the Marketo Munchkin cookie. This enables the Marketo known lead data to be pulled into RTP (field values, member of program/smart campaign) and to be used to match a segment, which then calls the RTP campaign to action. RTP used to be a standalone product called Insightera and the integration with Marketo has been growing quickly. Just this morning we found out that Marketo forms can now be embedded into RTP campaigns without needing any conversion any more. 

Mark_Halliday1
Level 2

Looks like anonymous personalization is a key marketing value prop for RTP based on this email I received today. Shame no one saw the value of this for Marketo users, who use anonymous data to inform their sales teams, instead of relying on passive personalization tactics.

pastedImage_0.png

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Mark Halliday​,

Anonymous leads are useless to your sales team. It's not until they become known and have some sort of contact info associated to them when they're able to be contacted by sales.

RTP has more options for how to target anonymous leads like changing content based on geo-location or mobile vs pc and things like that. However, just like with Marketo, even these anonymous leads are useless to sales until they become known.

In either case, once the leads become known, all of this anonymous data comes through into the known lead record, so your sales team isn't missing out on anything.

Mark_Halliday1
Level 2

Actually Mike Reynolds, anonymous leads have a lot of use for my high tech B2B inside sales team. Because they tell me what companies are visiting the site. I don't know how other industries work, but high tech doesn't wait for some content marketer to get a collateral request, nurture it to an MQL and pass it to sales. We'd all be out of business. That's why we all have huge inside sales teams with calling capacity. If a company is visiting us, we talk to them. That's why companies like leadlander and visistat exist. So until you're the throat to choke on delivering top-line revenue to high-growth B2B high tech companies, don't tell me my business.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, we are in the same boat, I fear.  Saying that anonymous information is useless is annoying, Mike - it's a faulty assumption, and (frankly) illustrates a lack of understanding of how your customers use your product.  I'd appreciate a reply to my question above - you might have missed it.  I have some very concerned marketers over here.