Included in this article
- How Leads Become Known
- Anonymous Web Activity Logging
- Triggered Smart Campaigns
Replaced screen shots with corrected versions
When a person visits a web page with your Munchkin tracking code on it, that web activity is tracked for that anonymous lead. When a lead takes action to become known, a lead record is created in your Marketo lead database and the anonymous web activity that lead had prior to becoming known is included in that new lead record. Any smart campaigns that would have triggered off of that web activity will then fire in the order of when the web activity occurred.
How Leads Become Known
There are three main ways that an anonymous web activity record can be converted into a known lead in your Marketo lead database.
1. Fills out form. If the anonymous lead fills out a Marketo form, that will create a new known lead record. The anonymous web activity that lead had before becoming known will be associated to that new known lead record.
2. Clicks a link in an email. Hyperlinks in emails are automatically decorated with a tracking code that is used to associate an anonymous record back to a known lead record. If you have a lead in your database that hasn’t had any web activity yet (like a lead that was added from a list import), when the lead clicks the hyperlink in the email, that tracking code in the hyperlink will associate their Munchkin cookie to your known lead record and all of that anonymous web activity will be logged into that known lead record.
Anonymous Web Activity Logging
- Anonymous lead activity is housed in a different database. This doesn’t create a lead record until the lead is promoted to a known lead.
- All activity a lead had prior to becoming known will be logged chronologically in the new lead record with the correct corresponding date/time stamps once the lead becomes known.
Triggered Smart Campaigns
- Anonymous leads can’t trigger smart campaigns. However, when a lead becomes known, the active smart campaigns that would have triggered from the anonymous activity will be triggered.
- All trigger campaigns currently active at the time the lead becomes known will be triggered if the lead took the action being triggered on while anonymous.
- Only campaigns currently active at the time the lead becomes known will be triggered.
- The campaign definition at the time it is triggered is what will be executed. For example, if the campaign has a Score Change of +10 but is changed to +5 just before the lead becomes known, the new lead created will be given a score of 5, not 10.
- The campaigns that are triggered by the anonymous activity will be processed in order of the activities that occurred, oldest to newest.
- In the lead’s activity log, all campaign activities (with one exception below) will be logged with the time stamp of when the lead becomes known, right before the New Lead activity.
- Interesting Moment flow step activities will be backdated to the date and time when the corresponding anonymous activity occurred.
- Not all flow actions in the campaign will be executed. When leads flow through campaigns as a result of the promotion to known lead, only specific flow actions will be processed. All other flow actions will be ignored. The flow actions executed will be:
1. Change Score
4. Add to List
- Secondary campaigns (campaigns triggered off of activities performed by the campaigns triggered by the lead promotion) will not be triggered.
- Pruned activities will not trigger campaigns. Anonymous web activity is not stored forever—it gets pruned over time, so any activity that has been pruned is no longer there to be triggered off of.