SOLVED

One database with different campaigns and duplicate contacts

Go to solution
Raquelbroad
Level 1

One database with different campaigns and duplicate contacts

Hello,

I have a slightly complicated scenario. I have already resarch on this discussion but no advance: Can Marketo handle duplicate email addresses for d... - Marketing Nation

We want to send several dynamic campaigns at the same time, uploading a single contact file to the database where we indicate the TAG (the campaign to send), the contacts and the dynamic fields.

The problem is that the contacts can be within several of the campaigns, so the contact can be duplicated several times, so the problem I see is that only the first contact receives the first campaign where the contact appears and the rest do not.

I have tried with all the resources that you comment, but I have not been able to find the solution . The ideal scenario:

A single database, with several campaigns, contacts and dynamic fields. We want to execute campaigns that call that database (only one) and, depending on the TAG, the respective campaign is sent to the contact on the same line with their respective dynamic fields. Not possibility for appi connection... 

The file is: 

Tag: Campaign 1 (Local string 10) / Contact / Dynamic field 1  / Dynamic field 2

Tag: Campaign 2 (Local string 10) / Contact / Dynamic field 1 / Dynamic field 2

Any idea for the solution? 

Thanks in advanced!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: One database with different campaigns and duplicate contacts

I’m afraid you’re never going to get satisfaction with this approach. Marketo does not support updating the same field multiple times (i.e. multiple values) from the same UI-based list import.

Since you’ve said the REST API is out of the question, that eliminates a number of graceful ways to deal with this via code.

It would make the most sense to split your list by campaign and import into different static Lists or Programs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Christiane_Rode
Level 6 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

I have a few questions about the setup that might help lead us to a solution, or at least some ideas. 

• Do you have purposeful duplicate contacts in your database (multiple records with the same email address) where the different contacts will be in the different campaigns, or do you have one contact record/email address that you want to attach to multiple campaigns?
  • Are you connected to a CRM that might help to define the different campaigns?
  • Are the dynamic fields you're using (Dynamic 1, Dynamic 2) the same field across the different campaigns? Or does each campaign have their own dynamic fields?

Raquelbroad
Level 1

Thanks for your interest!

• Do you have purposeful duplicate contacts in your database (multiple records with the same email address) where the different contacts will be in the different campaigns, or do you have one contact record/email address that you want to attach to multiple campaigns? --> Multiple records with the same or different email address that can receive one or multiple campaigns.
  • Are you connected to a CRM that might help to define the different campaigns? --> Contacts are added with the manual file and if the system recognice the email address, completes other dynamic info like name or not. 
  • Are the dynamic fields you're using (Dynamic 1, Dynamic 2) the same field across the different campaigns? Or does each campaign have their own dynamic fields? Each campaign have their own dynamic fields that are uploaded to the file and are then local strings.

It could happen this...

One file uploaded:

Tag: Campaign 1 (Local string 10) / raquel.broad@blabla.com (email address)  / Dynamic field 1  (Local string 1) / Dynamic field 2 (Local string 2)

Tag: Campaign 1 (Local string 10) / raquel.broad@blabla.com (email address)  / Dynamic field 2  (Local string 1) / Dynamic field 3  (Local string 2)  --> Same campaign 1 to send but different information.  Or/ and

Tag: Campaign 2 (Local string 10) / raquel.broad@blabla.com (email address)  / Dynamic field 1  (Local string 1) / Dynamic field 2 (Local string 2) --> Same dynamic fields of the first campaign but send on another campaign...

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Not sure if you could make your use case a bit less complex, but if not, I almost feel like you could build out the logic outside of Marketo, to request the apt campaigns for leads using their unique id based on the lead attributes that you've mentioned (campaign name, dynamic fields, etc.). Additionally, instead of using direct fields on the person object requiring you to create purposeful duplicates for different sets of values, could you not use the custom object to add CO records with different values and associate those records with a single person record?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I’m afraid you’re never going to get satisfaction with this approach. Marketo does not support updating the same field multiple times (i.e. multiple values) from the same UI-based list import.

Since you’ve said the REST API is out of the question, that eliminates a number of graceful ways to deal with this via code.

It would make the most sense to split your list by campaign and import into different static Lists or Programs.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

That indeed sounds like the only workable solution based on what we know.

Raquelbroad
Level 1

OK thanks. The only thing with this option is that in the same campign, also a contact can be duplicated but with dynmic fields different. We could in this case send all the info in just one asset... we will work on this possibility.

regards

EllenSchwier
Level 4

If I understand correctly, you might be able to use the Program Member Custom Fields to populate the dynamic content for the various campaigns. This requires that you separate the lists for each campaign and that each campaign is it's own program in Marketo. In this scenario, one person could be on every list and receive every email with different content based on the dynamic content populated in the program member custom fields.