SOLVED

Re: Massive account DB in SFDC. Can it be filtered ?

Go to solution
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Massive account DB in SFDC. Can it be filtered ?

On a project, we are dealing with a massive account DB (>4Million) in SFDC. But, on the project, only a small part of it will be used (<1 million)

Does anyone know if the support can set a filter on the account object, as they would do on the contact and lead object, in order to limit sync durations and avoid flowing to Marketo literally millions of useless records ?

Thx in advance

-Greg

PS : we know we can restrict through sharing model and rules, but in this case, a simple filter would be much easier.

Courtney Grimes​  Josh Hill​, I know you probably have been there already, so, advise welcome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

We can set up a filter on most objects so feel free to contact support with the request to add a filter on the Account field.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Flattered you think I have a solution here. I probably should!

I'm not sure I Understand the exact issue though. why wouldn't a simple Sync = T/F flag work on the Marketo User Profile if you only want 1M/4M Account Records to go to Marketo?

if the Contact records cannot sync, then Marketo probably can't see the Account as well, right? You could flag both Contact and Account as Do Not Sync and that should work.

Am I missing something about this situation?

Do you actually want ALL Lead/Contact to sync, but not all Accounts? That sounds odd and a bit dangerous if a Contact syncs, but not its Account.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

In fact, by default, the Marketo user "sees" all the accounts and contacts in the DB. We have set a "sync with Marketo" filter on contacts.

But, Marketo syncs all the accounts (4M) even if there is no contacts to sync. We made a test on a sandbox, only 10 contacts had the "sync with Marketo" flag set to True, and yet the initial sync took 9 days (Yes! 9 days), because the whole 4M accounts have been sync'ed, prior to any contact being sync'ed.

So I am considering adding a "sync with Marketo" flag to the account also, and ask support to filter accounts on this field, so that only relevant accounts are synchronized, and I was wondering if this is a viable solution, if some has already done it.

-Greg

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Greg,

While I haven't dealt with this exact problem, I have handled a couple of similar scenarios that may help—one with Person Accounts with no corresponding Contact record (!?!?) and the other with high Account sync times. In the first case, I wound up just having to let the data sit in Marketo unassociated to any record even upon fixing it and as a result just wiped the DB and did a fresh sync with corrected records to fix the sync delay. Given that you're just starting out on this sync I'd probably just do the same.

In terms of account sync, you can in fact change the field you want the Account object sync to trigger on away from the last modified timedate, but it involves calling support to get that set up.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Courtney,

Thx a lot

If you do not sync on last modified timedate, do you use another field (that you manage on your own)?

-Greg

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Greg,

In short: yes, I just used another custom Account field + flows to handle the issue.

Thanks,

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI again Courtney,

In fact, as we are working on a sandbox for the moment, we can play a bit an test some scenarios so that, when we run the real one, we have chose the best approach.

I'll keep the community informed of the findings.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Bottom line is, we are setting a "Sync with Marketo" filter field on accounts.

The key point is to make sure that there is a consistency between contacts and accounts, so that no contact can be sync'ed without its account being sync'ed as well, and also making sure that, if a given account is sync'ed, all of its related contacts are sync'ed, provided that they have an email and are active. This includes :

1. one workflow on contact that marks it form sync if it's account is sync'ed. This workflow executes every times and makes sure that whatever the edits on the contact, if it has en email and is active, it will sync if the account syncs
  2. one workflow on contact that marks it not to sync if it's account is un-flagged. This workflow executes every times the contact is updated and makes sure that whatever the edits on the contact, it cannot be flagged without the account being flagged as well.
  3. one SFDC process builder or trigger that flags all contacts in the account for sync when the account is flag for sync and un-flags all contacts when the account is un-flagged.

All this is compatible with an evolutive sharing model and sharing rules as the accounts and related contacts can be hidden to the Marketo user, regardless of the flags. It is also possible to use the account "Sync with Marketo" flag as a filter for some criteria based sharing rules.

-Greg

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

We can set up a filter on most objects so feel free to contact support with the request to add a filter on the Account field.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Steven,

Thx a lot

-Greg