SOLVED

Re: Emails are not sent and delivered which is sent from Marketo sandbox

Go to solution
ManjulaP
Level 1

Emails are not sent and delivered which is sent from Marketo sandbox

Hi team,

I am working on a Marketo engage sandbox tool to explore the Marketo features. I have triggered emails to my mailbox(mail ID and marketo login ID are same) from the Marketo sandbox. But It didn't get delivered to my ID.

What could be the issue? Could anyone please help me to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Manjula Pongiappan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

What was the "From-Email-Address" that you tried to send that email from? Usually sandboxes are not completely configured with regards to SPF and DKIM, so that might be a reason that the email bounced.

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Yes, agreed with Michael! @ManjulaP, if that's the case, you should see something like below in the "Email Suspended Cause" field -

'550-5.7.26 Unauthenticated email from *recipient's domain* is not accepted. Please contact the administrator of 550-5.7.26 *recipient's domain* domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 550 5.7.26 DMARC initiative.'

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Darshil_Shah1

From your question, I am assuming that you're using a trigger campaign to send emails. And, just to confirm, do you see the Send Email activity in the campaign results/person's activity log at all? 

If you don't see the Send Email activity, it'd be worth checking the lead activity log to ensure that you see the activity for which the campaign is listening for! And if you have filters in your SL, you should also check if your person record would qualify for the campaign's SL and qualification criteria.

Lastly, if you're trying to send a marketing email, you'd also need to make sure that the person is emailable, meaning they have -

1. Unsubscribed = False

2. Marketing Suspended = False

3. Blocklisted = False

4. Email Invalid = False

5. Not reached the communication limits, in case you've them set up in Marketo Admin

Please let us know if you have any questions.

ManjulaP
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your immediate response !!.

Yes, I had triggered the email from triggered campaign. And I am able to find the record in person's activity log. Please find the screenshot of the same. 

ManjulaP_1-1669634305574.png

And I have checked all the lists (which you have mentioned below). But the email ID is not present in any of the list. Still the email is not delivered. Could you please let me know how to fix the issue.

Many thanks!!

Darshil_Shah1

Well, it appears that your test record encountered a hard bounce when Marketo tried sending it an email. Email Suspended is a system-managed status field that blocks a person from receiving emails for 24 hours after a hard bounce occurs. After 24 hours, the person becomes mailable again. You should check the "Email Suspended Cause" in the person activity log/person detail page for more details as to why the person encountered a hard bounce.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

What was the "From-Email-Address" that you tried to send that email from? Usually sandboxes are not completely configured with regards to SPF and DKIM, so that might be a reason that the email bounced.

Darshil_Shah1

Yes, agreed with Michael! @ManjulaP, if that's the case, you should see something like below in the "Email Suspended Cause" field -

'550-5.7.26 Unauthenticated email from *recipient's domain* is not accepted. Please contact the administrator of 550-5.7.26 *recipient's domain* domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 550 5.7.26 DMARC initiative.'

ManjulaP
Level 1

Hi,

Yes, I guess the issue is with "DKIM signature" setup. But before the email was delivered without setting the DKIM signature (I had used the same sandbox in 2020). The same FROM address I have used now, But it was not sending emails to the respective Ids. Let me try to setup DKIM signature and will try again.

Thank you so much for you  timely response!!. 

In the documentation they have mentioned that I need to take IT team help for approval. But is it possible to set up the DKIM signature without IT help?

ManjulaP_0-1669733642672.png

Darshil_Shah1

If you're able to update DNS records to include the corresponding SPF/DKIM entries, then, of course. Though, in most orgs only the IT department has apt permission (for obvious reasons) to create/update/remove the DNS records. 🙂

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Another idea:

Usually SPF and DKIM aren't being set up for sandboxes, as sandboxes are not supposed to send emails except for testing. So deliverability doesn't really matter. Try using a gmail address as the from-email address. IIRC that works even without envelope authorization.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hmm, true that Gmail happens to not enforce DMARC right now, but this is pretty dangerous to assume going forward.

I would use a domain that is specifically designed for demos. Like if my client is example.com I register example-demos.com or example-sandbox.com.