Re: calendar event .ics with reminder

Cheral_Jansen
Level 2

calendar event .ics with reminder

We've been successfully incorporating an Add to Calendar link in webinar registration confirmations, but these are added to the calendar with no reminder set. Is there a way to define a time frame for a reminder - say 15 mins ahead of time? We have a "Your webinar is beginnign shortly" reminder email that goes out 15 mins mins before but we're finding regular delays in these mails going out, with webinar registrants receiving them after the event has begun.

Thanks.
Cheral
Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you create the file in outlook and upload it to the design studio as a static .ics file then it will contain an alert 15m in advance.

We send out reminder emails out 45 minutes prior. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

didn't even know marketo could do this, thanks guys!
Cheral_Jansen
Level 2

Adam, thanks for that. Could you confirm though - if we do it the way you suggest, we cannot include the personalized GTW login URL in the body of the .ics correct? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is correct. If you put an office ICS file in Images/Files it is static, not dynamic, so instead will need to use the generic url, join.gotowebinar.com or whatever the generic url is..
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Cheral,

You might consider sending out the email a bit more than 15 minutes prior with a slightly different subject line.  I would suggest you do this one hour ahead.  The calendar file will pick up the default calendar reminder that is set on the account.  Are you seeing this not work?
Cheral_Jansen
Level 2

Cheryl, noted regarding timing of the reminde rmail. Re the default calendar reminder, there is no reminder being set... which "account" are you referring to?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account meaning Outlook.  Outlook has a default - as an example, mine is set to 15 minutes so any invite will pick this default up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We can't count on our leads having a default reminder set. My co-worker and I both missed a Marketo webinar b/c our calendar file didn't include a pop up reminder which we were used to having on all of our other invites. So I guess I'm even an example of someone who must not have my default reminder set. It seems a weak hope to count on.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Allison, we have a new service in Beta called magICS (geeky name subject to change!) that allows you to have dynamic ICS files, including not only reminders but tokenized text.  For example, you can include the lead owner in the event title: "Meet Linda from CorpoSoft."  If you're interested, my email is below.

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
FigureOne, Inc. Professional Services
sandy@figureone.com