Re: Are documents hosted in Marketo searchable via Google or other search engines?

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Re: Are documents hosted in Marketo searchable via Google or other search engines?

thanks. I have voted.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Totally agree, though you can submit a Support case and ask them to add a robots.txt file to block, lots of discussions around this: Is there a way to add a robots.txt file for Domain Alias? 

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

This is correct.  Support can delist your entire Images & Files section of Design Studio.  Just file a ticket, it's a quick and easy request for us.  It's an all or nothing though, we can't delist only certain filetypes or certain folders.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's an all or nothing though, we can't delist only certain filetypes or certain folders.

Steven and Frank Breen I don't understand why people don't just use a redirect, as I noted in another thread.

pastedImage_2.png

301'ing your robots.txt is totally valid (ignore FUD to the contrary as that only pertains changing domains).  You have full control over the file, including path and file masks.

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

So can you do this to pdf files that re stored in design studio? Our pdfs are stored there and are not hosted on landing pages but are sent via email autoresponders.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Use the attached robots.txt to block the assets folder, then do the redirect Sanford suggests.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Use the attached robots.txt to block the assets folder, then do the redirect Sanford suggests.

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

Marketo have enabled the robots.txt on the images file. Problem is that our pdf link has been published also on searchable pages. Do you know if Marketo would re-direct an actual pdf link?>

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

What the robots.txt is doing here is stopping the content of the PDF's to be searchable, without it, people could potentially find gated content through a normal web search. Or if you use use an advanced search in Google and type the following:

site:pages2.marketo.com filetype:pdf

You'll see all of Marketo's PDF's, change pages2.marketo.com for your domain so see what is being indexed.

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

Our pdfs are being found by google. We don't host these on Marketo landing pages but on email autoresponders. I've contacted support but they have not suggested de-listing the files. Do Marketo still do this?