SOLVED

Re: UTM builder using Marketo Tokens

Go to solution
Deeps
Level 4

UTM builder using Marketo Tokens

Hi All,

Looking for ideas here, how to create UTM tracking links (single or if there are multiple UTM tracking links) using marketo tokens.

Or any other ideas are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Deepthi.

Tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

You can create custom program level text tokens and use them in the CTAs in the emails created within the program. Below are some examples of custom text tokens FYR:

Darshil_Shah1_3-1645617902148.png

These tokens can be used in the email CTAs as per below:

https://{{my.CTA Link}}?{{my.medium}}&{{my.campaign}}&{{my.source}}&{{my.channel}}&{{my.content}}

Below is how the tokens would look like in the HTML editor FYR:

Darshil_Shah1_5-1645618490388.png

You can tokenize your UTM parameters & use them in your COE/clone-able template programs to have your UTM params updated everywhere in the emails within program by making a single update upon cloning the template program. Lastly, please keep in mind that you cannot actually nest these tokens inside an another program token. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Additional note: you need to URL-encode query params yourself.

For a simple example, if you want the utm_source to be the string q&a, you can’t have the {{my.token}}:

utm_source=q&a

It needs to be:

utm_source=q%26a

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Darshil_Shah1

You can create custom program level text tokens and use them in the CTAs in the emails created within the program. Below are some examples of custom text tokens FYR:

Darshil_Shah1_3-1645617902148.png

These tokens can be used in the email CTAs as per below:

https://{{my.CTA Link}}?{{my.medium}}&{{my.campaign}}&{{my.source}}&{{my.channel}}&{{my.content}}

Below is how the tokens would look like in the HTML editor FYR:

Darshil_Shah1_5-1645618490388.png

You can tokenize your UTM parameters & use them in your COE/clone-able template programs to have your UTM params updated everywhere in the emails within program by making a single update upon cloning the template program. Lastly, please keep in mind that you cannot actually nest these tokens inside an another program token. Hope this helps!

Deeps
Level 4

Thank you @Darshil_Shah1,.

But what if I have more than one UTM tracking link then how do we use marketo tokens ?.

Thanks,

Deepthi.

Darshil_Shah1

Well, in that case you can create custom text tokens for each link you wanna track - e.g., {{my.CTA Link 1}}, {{my.CTA Link 2}}, etc., and use them in the respective CTAs within the email(s). Let me know if this answers your question. 🙂

SanfordWhiteman

Additional note: you need to URL-encode query params yourself.

For a simple example, if you want the utm_source to be the string q&a, you can’t have the {{my.token}}:

utm_source=q&a

It needs to be:

utm_source=q%26a

dillonlee02
Level 3

Found this topic to be really interesting, and it is good to know about the & sign needing to be %26 because "&" usually translates to %26 when it is encoded within a URL parameter. Thanks for sharing!

SanfordWhiteman

it is good to know about the & sign needing to be %26 because "&" usually translates to %26 when it is encoded within a URL parameter.

always, I’d say 🙂

dillonlee02
Level 3

Very true 😄

Deeps
Level 4

Thanks @SanfordWhiteman 

Thanks,

Deepthi.