SOLVED

Re: Use Marketo Custom Object tokens in Trigger Campaigns Flow Steps

Go to solution
AWmindtree
Level 4

Use Marketo Custom Object tokens in Trigger Campaigns Flow Steps

Hi Marketo Community,
Recently went through one of the new things and wanted to share with the community. 

Use Case- Want to Copy a value of Marketo Custom Object field while Trigger Campaign. 
Solution- This can be achieved by using a Change Data Value Flow Step and using Trigger tokens in the New Value area. 
Where the format of the token should be {{trigger.Custom Object Field Name}}. In the below example it is {{trigger.COField Name 1}} {{trigger.COField Name 2}}

AWmindtree_1-1623672091849.png

Please Note- This will only work with Trigger Campaigns and work with the Trigger Campaign having a Trigger for the same custom object for which you want the fields in the Flow Step. 
For example- Campaign Smart List- Added to ABC(custom object) 
Campaign flow should be: CDV Attribute: Your Field and New Value should be {{trigger.Name of field under ABC object}}

Hope this helps. Feel free to share your suggestions as well, if I am mistaking somewhere.
Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think with CAs it's always been supported.

Flow support for TriggerObject with COs, though, was not always there.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Astounding. I have to test that. 🙂

Can it be that the trigger field value appears underlined red if the campaign has not yet been activated?

And do you know if "Added to Object" is the only trigger this works with? What about "Object is updated"? (these are the only triggers for Custom Objects, right?)

AWmindtree
Level 4

Hi @Michael_Florin 

I tested with Added to Object trigger and it was working with it. For Updated, Marketo does not log any activity so perhaps it might not work for update.
Also, I didn't face any scribbled line till the campaign was inactive.

Thanks

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Yep, worked for me too!

But it seems the CO field you use in your CDV flow step has to have a value. In my first test that field was empty, so the trigger didn't fire.

So, thanks for posting this here! This shatters my illusion that Custom Object fields can't be accessed through tokens at all.

AWmindtree
Level 4

Hi @Michael_Florin 

That's correct. I also tested with an empty field and the Campaign didn't fire. 

So, the CO field should not be blank. 

Hope this helps other members as well 🙂

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Hey @AWmindtree - 

inspired by your findings, I tested if probably Custom Activities could utilize trigger tokens to write values from the CA to the lead database. And in fact, that works too:

Trigger: ("Responds to Survey" is a Custom Activity that Qualtrics writes into our Marketo)

Michael_Florin_0-1624033699397.png

Flow Step: ("Product" is a field on that CA) 

Michael_Florin_1-1624033776986.png

Result:

Michael_Florin_2-1624033836905.png

I think that opens a whole new world for Custom Activities. I was certainly not aware that this was an option.

SanfordWhiteman

I think with CAs it's always been supported.

Flow support for TriggerObject with COs, though, was not always there.
ShannonKPerkuto
Level 3

@AWmindtree @Michael_Florin @SanfordWhiteman , does this functionality work with "Object is updated"? I got it to work for "Added to Object," but my tests have failed so far for "Object is updated." I really, really want it to work. 

SanfordWhiteman

does this functionality work with "Object is updated"? I got it to work for "Added to Object," but my tests have failed so far for "Object is updated." I really, really want it to work. 

Unfortunately, it does not work to my knowledge (& supported by testing).

ShannonKPerkuto
Level 3

Thank you, @SanfordWhiteman . I just posted a related question. I appreciate your help!