Re: Urgent Issue with Unsubscribe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Urgent Issue with Unsubscribe

We often get complaints from people that they cannot unsubscribe, and usually we just point them to the link and manually unsubscribe them--which used to work.

But I have one lead who reached out saying she submitted the unsubscribe form and reached confirmation 2x, but was still getting emails. I went into her record and saw that the Unsubscribed box was checked already, with a note that: "System flow action for 'Unsubscribe Email' triggered Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:06:58 -0500"

So as a backup I checked Marketing Suspended as well and asked her to let me know if she got another email the next day (today), and she was emailed again!

Please help! My backup option would be to remove her from the Marketo database entirely so she could stop getting the emails she doesn't want/we don't want to be sending her...

13 REPLIES 13
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Hi Vivian,

I recommend looking up which email it was in the lead's activity log and examining that email. Was the email they received set to be "operational"?  If so, it will over-ride the Marketing Suspended and Unsubscribed settings. Operational emails should only be used for triggered emails, such as when someone fills out a form.

If that's not the case, then I recommend having them forward you the email to verify it's actually from Marketo and not a different source. If it is from Marketo, you can open a support case and we'll help you figure out why it was sent.

Grant

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grant,

I don't believe it is an operational email--I don't remember setting it up as so month ago. Is there some way to check?

The email is definitely a Marketo email, as it comes from an engagement program.

Thanks,

Vivian

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went into the email in editing mode, and checked the setting and it is NOT an operational email.

Grant_Booth
Level 10

In that case, I recommend contacting Support so we can look at the email header and our email logs to figure out what's happening. Be sure to attach the email they forwarded you / responded to and be specific about the email address of the lead, which email they received, and when it was sent.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree with all of what Grant said.

But look at the Activity Log before you go to Support. Are these emails really being sent to her? Is someone spoofing your domain?

If the email is not set to Operational, then something is wrong.

Also, Marketing Suspended does not mean much here; they will still get operational emails in that case. Doesn't seem like this is an issue.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Does she have a dupe record that is not unsubscribed??

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I was going to ask as well. I used to have that problem a lot -- if I am a member of a distribution list email (ie marketing@xyzcompany.com) and one of my coworkers fills out an online form with that email address, then I might get an email that looks like it's being sent to me, but is really being sent to that distribution list.

Try looking in your lead DB for the domain (@xyzcompany.com) and see what else pops up. You can always unsubscribe everyone at that domain if you have to.

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Susan, wouldn't unsubscribing that distribution list unsubscribe everyone on it, though? (Assuming your instance dedupes only off email address). Does this person have any email addresses that route to her? For instance, her co-worker left the company, but his record is not unsubscribed. So she's getting the emails that send to him, but then get forwarded to her. If you use tokens in the name, though, that would be easy to pick out.

Josh, if there are two leads with the same email address, where one is unsubscribed and one isn't, then wouldn't that person not get the email still? I thought that the unsubscribing happens to the email address and not the lead record...?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeff, yes, that unsubscribes everyone at the domain. It made sense for us to be better safe than sorry at the time.