SOLVED

Re: Tokenized URL Links causing issues in the Link Performance Report

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tokenized URL Links causing issues in the Link Performance Report

Hi Community,

Trying to create an accurate report but having problems due to the fact that we have a link that is tokenized after the question mark (?). We did this to bring people back the the right stage in the funnel and also remember their information to make it a more seamless user experience. The problem is, is because each URL is tokenized to the lead record, Marketo reads each link as an individual link and does not group it together. Thus our link performance report shows that 15 individual links were clicked, and not the same link was clicked 15 times.

Is there a way to get Marketo to recognize that this is the same link and to ignore the information after the questions mark (?)?

Thanks,
Natasha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tired applying a smartlist to your email link report?  This may help you in filtering the links.

If that doesn't work, this can be accomplished in RCE which is the BI tool that comes with an upgraded Marketo Account

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tired applying a smartlist to your email link report?  This may help you in filtering the links.

If that doesn't work, this can be accomplished in RCE which is the BI tool that comes with an upgraded Marketo Account

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

I have a similar but different problem. I am using tokens as the links themselves and seeding them on the campaign level through my tokens. so the HTML has a my.token in it, rather than the URL. 

And then when I look at the Email Link Performance report, it looks like any links set up like that are never clicked. That seems strange/inaccurate.

Can anyone clarify?

Perhaps token gurus like Edward Unthank (Etumos)​ or Jeff Shearer​ (learned the token life from you guys at the last few Marketo Summits)...

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You should send yourself an email (not sample) to see how those links are actually output.

To get tracked links with tokens, you need to have the protocol:// outside the token -- the token just contains the hostname/path/querystring.

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

To get tracked links with tokens, you need to have the protocol:// outside the token -- the token just contains the hostname/path/querystring.

well that explains it.

I wonder if this is also impacting any campaigns I run based on a "clicked link in email" filter...do you think that any of these clicks are not being "seen" by marketo with regard to smart campaigns, filters, and/or triggers?

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

Or does this only impact the Email Link Performance report?

SanfordWhiteman

None of 'em will be seen as clicks if not tracked.

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

Sanford Whiteman

Let's say that my token is actually placed inside a <p> or a <td> tag and I have a lot of text, perhaps the entire body of an email.

To confirm, you are saying that any link in that text will also not display?

SanfordWhiteman

If you have HTML generated by a standard text {{my.token}} the <a> children won't be tracked.

If the exact same HTML is generated by a Velocity {{my.token}}, however, a child <a> will be tracked (save for some Velocity-specific quirks).

It's an order-of-operations thing. At some point, content has to be considered literal text (not to be re-scanned for special stuff, changed, and re-output) or else you'd have an infinite loop.

Villarini
Level 2

I have https:// outside of the token and it shows the people who clicked in a smart list but not in an Email Link Performance. When I hover over the link in the email I sent myself, it shows a different URL (a redirect link most likely), but other links that show the redirect link are being tracked in the Email Link Performance. Can you think of any reason why it isn't showing?