Re: Salesforce and Marketo Migration to new instances

Anonymous
Not applicable

Salesforce and Marketo Migration to new instances

Hello all - I believe this thread belongs here, but please let me know if not, happy to move or have it moved it.

We're undergoing a Salesforce migration to a fresh new org, and we learned we'll need a new instance of Marketo as well. We got the new instance already setup by the Marketo support team (it has a new name but I noticed the Munchkin # it's the same, which is great). I do have a few questions, I searched here on the forum, couldn't find a specific clear answer.

Marketo team asked us to not touch the fresh new instance until we're ready to migrate (which's a process they we'll do), and our timeline for our Salesforce schema and data to go up in Salesforce is tomorrow/early next week. That SFDC instance is not yet hooked up in the new Marketo instance.

• Is there any harm in starting the Marketo's end migration process right now? (So request the support team to start right away, since they need 2 bdays)
  • Additionally: If there are custom fields that are not going to be ported over to our new Salesforce (from current SFDC), is this ok with the new Marketo instance? (once we connect both new instances) ?
  • From a record/data point of view, I'm thinking SFDC -> Marketo (since I can bulk upload to SFDC directly)?
  • How will our domain be affected? Will we keep the same domain for resources we currently have (Landing Pages, links etc)? Is there any redirect work to be done?
  • Since we're in a new instance, I imagine all Marketo Ids will be new to the new records (I'll be keeping 2 copies of all records, one in Postgres, and one physical backup), and have a column with the Marketo Idls (Old). Will my leads and contacts be ok with their munchkin tracking with the new marketo ids?

Thank you so much for your help, I'm happy to document here any challenges and gotchas along the way for anyone interested

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There are some migration threads you should research here. Most of these questions should be discussed with your Support Manager.

1. Starting Migration Now - I don't see why not?
    1. You should expect some migration period if you haven't moved over the important programs or lead lifecycle, assets yet. Are they doing some of that?
  2. Old Custom Fields - sure if they do not exist in your new SFDC. Just make sure Support knows what you want migrated.
    1. if your custom fields are referenced in migrated assets, that will cause an error.
  3. Data Load: not sure what you are planning. Generally you want your SFDC clean before a sync. So what exactly is Marketo migrating?
  4. Your cname can be the same in Admin and you'll need Marketo's help to move any assets.
  5. Munchkin Assoc - best to ask support.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Josh, I'm opening a case right now with Marketo Support team to start - so 1

2. I have an extensive list of all the custom fields we'll keep, so I'll use it with support as well, in case they needed. We removed unused or legacy custom fields as well as packaged ones.

2.1 good call - I'm thinking "no" but I'll double check.

3. I'm going to add all our leads/contacts/accounts/campaings etc data using Salesforce dataloader, so it'll be in our new Salesforce before we sync with new Marketo.

4. Thanks, I'll ask them for that.

5. Will do.

Thank you again for your time.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

• How will our domain be affected? Will we keep the same domain for resources we currently have (Landing Pages, links etc)? Is there any redirect work to be done?

New account string = different CNAME value ("value" as in rdata / the right-hand-side of the CNAME record).

Thus you'll want to reduce the TTL on your existing CNAME record as low as possible to allow for quick migration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford, thanks for the help -  ok - I'll follow the advice, I'll check in with some of our internal engineers that happen to be great with this as well, and check back here for our findings.

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm reading your post here: Changing CNAME  - great explanations. I just want to make sure we're doing this right, so any light on the subject is great:

We got our new account string, like you said, we'll need a new CNAME. Also MKTO Support had this answer for us:

"The new instance needs to have a new CNAME because the CNAME of the previous instance (http://resources.mobify.com) is configured on your DNS. If you use the CNAME from the previous instance on the new instance, all the assets from the previous instance will not work because a CNAME can't resolve two sub-domains. Using a CNAME points to from the old instance to the new instance will break the links to your assets. Since tracking is a concern, you just need to feed the data to both subscriptions by adjusting the Munchkin tracking code used."

So here's what I believe we have to do:

1. Point the new CNAME to the new String: ​resource.mobify.com > ournewstring.mktoweb.com in our DNS (and again this is absolutely necessary correct? I can't make it with our old ​resources​.mobify.com for the reasons above)
  2. We'll reduce TTL as low as possible on our existing CNAME
  3. In case 1. is still true by this point, I'll have to Create a Domain Alias from our old resources.mobify.com to our new resource.mobify.com - in order to retain our tracking (?)
  4. Only do 3. when all our landing pages and assets are approved on our programs on the new instance (?)

Specific on the bold part from Marketo Support: Using a CNAME points to from the old instance to the new instance will break the links to your assets.

This means I shouldn't create any other redirect but the Domain Alias?

Thanks for the help!