SOLVED

Re: New Email Editor :(

Go to solution
Colin_Ryder
Level 6 - Champion Alumni

New Email Editor :(

Playing with the new email editor and there are a few good things but also some stuff that needs to be improved.

1. It was better to be able to see html vs text side-by-side (so you can see if something has been copied or not). This is useful for me because I have a lot of people who forget to do this and also sometimes the alignment doesn't come across very well.
  2. Find and Replace - can this not also be added into the code view?
  3. Font / Font Size selection - There used to be a "None" feature which was very helpful if for example you wanted to change back to your templates default size. You could just choose "Font size" and it would pick up the default template specified size.
    font1.JPG
    Also, for example we use a 13px font (which is not an option in the drop down list ) so now if out users change the font size, we cannot fix this without going into the code and changing it manually.
    fontsize.JPG

4. Half the icons are missing until you click more. I use the code view a lot because our users who are not html savvy screw up the code. Yes, we have told them on numerous occasions to paste content as plain text but not everyone follows the rules.
  5. Links - the advanced tab where you can see style etc has gone away. This was useful if you wanted to add in a color for the link quickly. Now you have to select the text and highlight it AFTER you make the link. Plus you get un-necessary code - i.e Span Tags.

Example:- Creating a link
    linkcolor1a.JPG
    Gives you this below (we don't use default microsoft blue)

linkcolor1b.JPG
    Now we have to highlight the text and change the font colour, resulting in this un-necessary text. It isn't killing the email but it's not needed and now takes me twice as long.
    linkcolor1c.JPG

Anyone else have some comments to add - good or bad?

Cheers

ps - I have reverted to the old version in the Admin section under email but hope these points (and hopefully others from the community) can help improve the editor. It's good to have a more modern view but some of the functionality needs to be tweaked.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Boris, Frank and Colin! I can't address the stuff that's broken, I'm personally going to make product and engineering aware of the fact that you aren't happy.

But I CAN address Frank's comment of "Why are we trying to fix something that isn't broken"

The short answer is that while the old editor wasn't broken, it was terribly out of date on the back end. The version we were running was well behind current and incompatible with some of the newer HTML 5 technology. It definitely did need to be updated. Unfortunately updating the version also updated the UI and that's causing some pain points.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Boris_Kiperas1
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I completely agree with all the points raised above and i would like to add one more - for some really strange reason you removed the expand button in the HTML editor screen and it is so much harder to check and edit HTML now when we are constrained with such small window. The editing window cannot even be resized. In short, your new Rich Text Editor design in my view is an epic fail.

I would strongly recommend to Marketo product team to invest more time and effort on fixing real system issues rather than fixing what needs no fixing.

Boris Kiperas
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are we trying to fix something that isn't broken" This was not a well thought out plan.

Anton_Belo1
Level 2

Where is the ADVANCED EDITOR???

Edward_Masson
Level 10

Click on the email section in Admin, There is a new tab, Edit Editor Settings. Here you can revert to Legacy settings (the old, more popular editor).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for that tip!  I think it would take me forever to work around the new version, that would be it for email marketing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

YES! Thank you for posting this. Saved me probably a day and a half of struggling with the new editor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Colin's points.  My job time just doubled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely agree! "Easier" has created more work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Boris, Frank and Colin! I can't address the stuff that's broken, I'm personally going to make product and engineering aware of the fact that you aren't happy.

But I CAN address Frank's comment of "Why are we trying to fix something that isn't broken"

The short answer is that while the old editor wasn't broken, it was terribly out of date on the back end. The version we were running was well behind current and incompatible with some of the newer HTML 5 technology. It definitely did need to be updated. Unfortunately updating the version also updated the UI and that's causing some pain points.