SOLVED

Re: Maximum Number of CC fields in an Email

Go to solution
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Maximum Number of CC fields in an Email

Hi All,

I know we can enable up-to 25 email fields to be used as CC fields in the email section under admin. But is there any limitation on how many of these 25 Admin enabled CC fields can be used at a time in an email? I went through the Email CC (https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Email+CC) page on the marketo docs, but it doesn't say anything about this. I tried testing this and found out that we can only select upto 5 fields in the email at a time- even if there are more admin enabled email CC fields - Can someone please confirm if this is the correct finding? Are we only limited to have upto 5 CC recipients in an email?

Thanks for your time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks for explaining the context & requirements!

Sounds more like an alert, in the business sense, rather than an email.

Is there a specific reason the alert recipients must receive the exact email headers & body (with all links tracked to the original recipient, remember)? Why can't it be sent via Send Alert?

In addition, if there's no distribution list, you'll be hammering the recipient's mailserver pretty hard. It may receive up to 10x your Marketo connection & message volume (depends on usage patterns). So they need to ensure your Marketo emails bypass all rate limits.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I believe there is a char or hard limit.

My big question is WHY do you need 25 people ccd on an automated email?

You can also CC an email alias instead.

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Also keep in mind the more CC fields you add to the email the more engagement activity that will be tracked back to the original Lead/Person in Marketo.  

"As such, any engagement activity (opens, clicks, etc.) will be logged to the activity log of the Marketo Person in the "To" line of the email..."

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Email+CC

Maybe create some records in your DB, and use those as seed email addresses in your send logic so they also get the email to avoid unintended consequences mentioned above.

SanfordWhiteman

Following on from Josh and Oz, I think you should go back to basics here.

Instead of thinking "Marketo's CC feature is weird" think "What business requirement am I trying to meet?" And tell us what that is so we can help you implement it.

(P.S. This is known as as the XY Problem: jumping to one potential/assumed solution instead of staying in the problem space.)

Darshil_Shah1

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

So talking about the requirements, I am working on an order approval notification related email where we need to notify customer that their order has been submitted for approval - business wants to have the admin/business folks (who will work on whether to approve or reject order)  to be CCed with the email sent to customer. The email has order related information and hence we are using CO plus velocity for the email (not important here,  but mentioning here if someone is curious). And there can be atmost 10 people that can be CCed based on the order items/order values. A bit weird requirement but business is a medical and healthcare client hence they want to have complete transparency to business/admin at multiple levels. Please suggest any alternative approach/workaround that can be used here. Thanks. 

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks for explaining the context & requirements!

Sounds more like an alert, in the business sense, rather than an email.

Is there a specific reason the alert recipients must receive the exact email headers & body (with all links tracked to the original recipient, remember)? Why can't it be sent via Send Alert?

In addition, if there's no distribution list, you'll be hammering the recipient's mailserver pretty hard. It may receive up to 10x your Marketo connection & message volume (depends on usage patterns). So they need to ensure your Marketo emails bypass all rate limits.

Darshil_Shah1

Thanks Sanford for your input, seems like Send Alert is only way out to achieve this (given that client does not want to create distribution lists!), major con here being the loss of reporting data as alert emails aren't tracked by Marketo.

Thanks to others as well who helped me out with their opinions/view-points. Appreciate it. 

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks Sanford for your input, seems like Send Alert is only way out to achieve this (given that client does not want to create distribution lists!), major con here being the loss of reporting data as alert emails aren't tracked by Marketo.

But why would they want admin + business folks to have tracked links? (Tracked to the customer, that is?) That's typically the last thing you want, internal people clicking links that get logged to the Marketo person..

Darshil_Shah1

Yes, You're absolutely correct @SanfordWhiteman

Thanks 🙂