Re: Marketo campaign statuses not matching/updating Salesforce statuses

Caitlin_McCorm3
Level 3

Marketo campaign statuses not matching/updating Salesforce statuses

Even after ensuring the campaign type and member statuses match, member statuses are not matching across Marketo and SFDC. I asked a rep at SFDC to help and they said it was a Marketo issue.

Here's an outline of exactly what's happening:

A new program is created in Marketo. The program is synced to a SFDC campaign.

Members are added to the campaign by list import in SFDC, manual update in SFDC, or in a flow step in Marketo.

The problem is, when we go to update the member status in SFDC, it automatically reverts back. This is where the SFDC rep says that it's a Marketo issue.

When we update the status in Marketo it doesn't update in SFDC.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I've had trouble like this before.

The way we do it is we don't have the Marketo Program and SFDC Campaign synced at the program level, we use the "add to sfdc campaign" flow step and the "change status in sfdc campaign" flow step, this way we can manually control the members statuses.

I'm not sure why you want to change the status in SFDC...do you mind elaborating more on that?

Caitlin_McCorm3
Level 3

Thanks for your response Darrell Alfonso

Are you saying that the only way to accurately update the status is to not have the campaign synced at the program level? Why would that be?     

To elaborate: our event team manages RSVPs/Attendees in SFDC. They manually update statuses in the campaign view in Salesforce.

Darrell_Alfons2

Hmm, I searched through community for you and didn't find anything super helpful

There is probably another way to do it.

With our program, we have a register or decline landing page which triggers a status change in sfdc, and then after we can import attendees and mark no shows, so we don't have to manually update statuses. So different process than yours I suppose

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Caitlin,

This question really belongs to Products Read this to know how to move it: ** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING YOUR MARKETO PRODUCT QUESTIONS HERE **

A new program is created in Marketo. The program is synced to a SFDC campaign.

Does that mean you created the campaign in SFDC first and then sync'ed it with Marketo or did you create it from Marketo?

If you did the first approach, it's likely that the issue is that the possible member statuses are different. It's unfortunately a major breaking point in the process that is not sufficiently documented. Vote here:   and here:

-Greg

Caitlin_McCorm3
Level 3

Yup - aware if the statuses are different there will be some issues and that is not the case here.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Sorry, I need to ask the obvious questions first

Are you trying to move a lead back to a status which order number is lower in the channel definition ?

Can you please provide a screenshot of how the statuses are set in the channel, in Marketo admin?

And what status changes you were trying to make?

And also, pls move your question to products

-Greg

Caitlin_McCorm3
Level 3

Nope, going from "Not a member" to "RSVP"

Here's a question for you: there's no set order that statuses should be. To get around the 'backwards' 'forwards' steps, can I make them each the same step number? (Does that make sense?)

Moved     

Josh_Hill13

There are possibilities here.

1 - Program Status matched to SFDC Member Status. If you do not align these exactly, Marketo may have issues. But humans will have more issues. SFDC Does Not Care about going "backward" but Marketo does. When you do an Add to SFDC Campaign or Change Status, you should ensure that's matched to the Program Status at the same time.

2. I've had issues if we use Add to SFDC Campaign not changing the Status, so we will often use Add to, then Change Status after a Wait Step. THis is partially due to complex apex code doing things we want to finish first. If we do it too fast, then Marketo gets an error like "It was already in there and doesn't change the Status properly.

3. Changing Status in SFDC first - ideally it should then push to Marketo. Depends if you have a trigger listening for a change. I would generally avoid this, but I know Sales may want to do so.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Caitlin,

Yes, as soon as 2 member statuses have the same step number, you can move back and forth between the 2.

-Greg