Is the ability to swap email or landing pages template coming?

mkal88
Level 1

Re: Is the ability to swap email or landing pages template coming?

I'm currently making revisions to an existing template that's being used by over 40 landing pages.

I'd like to test this new version of the template (named differently) against these landing pages,

but I don't want to use the live versions.

So I'd like to clone each of them and test with the new template, which I can't do because I can't change the template of the cloned landing page.

I could recreate each landing page using the new template but that would be extremely time-consuming. 

How would you get around this then? Or do folks usually test against live pages which isn't really a good practice imo.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Certainly a painful process. But again there’s no lossless way to map content between different templates.

Even if one template originated as a clone of another template, it could have immediately been changed. The slightest change in ID attributes, variable types, etc. would make content unmappable. So even if in practice, for 2 specific LP templates at a given point in time, you could map everything one-for-one, Marketo doesn’t check for that and instead disallows the practice entirely. (Though as I mentioned you could do it with the API.)

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

I agree with @Michael_Florin! Two templates can be very different in terms of modules/design/etc. (since Marketo allows users to code their custom email/landing page templates) due to which the ability to swap templates isn't practically possible in Marketo.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Agreeing completely with Michael and Darshil. I would add that if you have specific business logic that would allow named modules from one template to be mapped to another template (and/or deliberately deleted) you could do this with the Asset API. Not at all easy, though.