SOLVED

Re: How to get a phone number to open in sms

Go to solution
Michell_Bauer
Level 2

How to get a phone number to open in sms

In a marketo email I added the Example:  <a href="sms:123456789">123456789</a> tag so when someone sees the email on their phone, they can click the number and it should open up on their messenger. When I sent myself a test I get a 404 page not found error. When  I removed the tracking nothing happens when I click the number. Any ideas?

Email client: Outlook

Phone: Samsung Galaxy 7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@talhakhalid see my edit above. I actually don’t see any problem w/Marketo rendering such links in the email at all.

Your F12 Inspector isn’t the way to tell if something exists in the raw message Marketo sent, because the mail client is stripping out HTML tags it doesn’t support. You have to use Show Original Message, Show HTML Source, or similar to show the actual message, in which case you’ll see the <a href="sms:...> is indeed output correctly.

However, not all devices and mail clients support the scheme. For example, my Outlook for Android doesn‘t; my webmail, viewed on Chrome Mobile on the same device, does.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman

Please move the thread to Products​ to continue. This space is for feedback about the Nation website, not support.

talhakhalid
Level 1

Kindly tell us what's the solution for this problem when I added the <a href="sms: number here">SMS</a> anchor tag and the user click on number in the email then it is going to the 404 page but it should go the sms screen on mobile.

SanfordWhiteman

Make sure you’re adding the no-track class.

<a class="mktNoTrack" href="sms:+3310203040">
talhakhalid
Level 1

I tried this already but using this class we lost the click function on the phone number. After using this class the user are not able to click the phone number its just show the plain text.

SanfordWhiteman

I don’t think you understand what mktNoTrack does? That class tells Marketo not to rewrite the link, so it will remain exactly as-is. This is necessary to ensure the widest functionality of non-http: links, such as mailto:, tel:, and sms:.

There’s no way for mktNoTrack to reduce the native functionality of a link, it can only increase the reliability of the native functionality (at the cost of not logging Clicked Email).

talhakhalid
Level 1

Thanks for replying, here is attached image of adding class with anchor tag. I have used this code in the code editor:

<a class="mktNoTrack" href="sms:+16465586696">(646) 558-6696</a>

And after that I received email here is the screenshot:

Screenshot_2021-07-15 Mail - Talha Khalid - Outlook.png

You can see when I added the class mktNoTrack with the anchor tag then I'm not able to click the phone number. Kindly let me know if Marketo have any Email Settings for this purpose?? 

SanfordWhiteman

What is the actual raw HTML behind that? Is there an A tag at all?
talhakhalid
Level 1

Here is my HTML div structure:

<div class="mktoText" mktoname="Text" id="SubHeadline2-text-ca30917dc-e520-417a-a5d9-c1344a8904c7"><div style="text-align: left;">Dear {{lead.First Name:default=Patient}}, 
<br /> 
<br /> 
<span style="color: #213b71;"><span style="color: #213b71;">We are writing to let you know that Amilcar Rizzo, MD has early morning and evening availability at Schweiger Dermatology Group - Second Avenue. He remains available Tuesday 1:30pm - 7:30pm &amp; Thursday 7:30am - 1:30pm. Please text <a class="mktNoTrack" href="sms:+16465586696">(646) 558-6696</a> or call <a href="tel:2129809292" target="_blank" id="" style="color: #213b71;">(212) 980-9292</a> to schedule an appointment. <br /><br /></span></span>An annual skin exam is an important part of your preventative healthcare routine. A skin exam helps detect skin cancer before it spreads and when it’s at its most treatable. Early detection is essential. 
<br /> 
</div>
</div>

Please check and let me know if have any change??? Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

I need to see the HTML as rendered in the actual email.

Not the email asset or template in the editor — the actual email.