SOLVED

How do I put a 'not equals' symbol into a program name?

Go to solution
Jessica_Ruffalo
Level 4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: How do I put a 'not equals' symbol into a program name?

Yeah, you’d need to either copy paste it or insert it using the character map as it's not included in the standard keyboard setup.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1

Need more details here:

Do you mean adding the symbol in the program name or using a program name not equal to operator in a filter? Also, what exactly is the symbol you’re referring to? Is it != or ≠?

Jessica_Ruffalo
Level 4

≠   In a program name.  I realized I can copy and paste it in there, but wonder if there is a shortcut.  Thank you.

Darshil_Shah1

Yeah, you’d need to either copy paste it or insert it using the character map as it's not included in the standard keyboard setup.

areilly10
Level 1

Not sure if this would impact it, but just a heads up to that symbols used in your program names could mess with API pulls or integrations. I've had to rename fields for using symbols that integrations didn't like even though the fields weren't even used in the integration, so I try to reduce punctuation and symbols where I can.

Darshil_Shah1

I usually limit myself to using "-" or "_" apart from the usual alpha-numeric chars while naming the assets. 🙂

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Eh, this seems bit silly to me. I’m working in instances using CJK characters all the time. If an integration doesn’t support i18n in 2023 they need to hire people who get it.

The only characters I might avoid are those that aren’t filesystem and/or OS compatible, which is a subset of ASCII characters

/ \ | < > : * ?

But even, so a correctly written app will not have trouble with these. There’s little reason to be writing asset names to the filesystem, period, and no reason you can’t encode them as necessary. An app that’s trying to copy Program names to Windows/Mac files or folders verbatim is probably broken in a million other ways — it’s a code smell!

Amanda_Reilly3
Level 3

Mostly just was a concern based on an issue I had recently with On24 where it wouldn't integrate if any field had a quotation in it and future proofing. Some integrations just act oddly and if you plan to use tools that may struggle with the characters or if parsing data becomes difficult because of it, just calling it out.

Amanda Reilly
Marketing Operations Consultant at Etumos