Re: How can I use "View email as Web Page" and have the webpage in different language as the email?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I use "View email as Web Page" and have the webpage in different language as the email?

I have an interesting problem.

We segment our database in regions. And DACH is one of the regions. We've been getting comments from some users in Switzerland who don't want German language emails, but want our normal English language emails.

I create emails for our International audience using dynamic fields. All emails going to DACH are in German. Most other regions are in English and a subsection of our DACH contacts would like to receive their emails in English as well. Short of keeping a language preference in the contact record, I can't easily solve this. I was hoping to use the View as Web Page function and add the following link to the German language emails: To view this email in English as a web page, click here

But this shows the German language email as a webpage, not the english default (which is what I would like)

So my question is: How do I change this code

<div style="text-align: center"><font face="Verdana" size="1">To view this email in English as a web page, <a href="%mkt_webview_url%?mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##">click here</a><br /><br /></font></div>

so that it will show the default email?

Thanks

Jan Sysmans | Head of International Marketing | DoubleDutch

11 REPLIES 11
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: How can I use "View email as Web Page" and have the webpage in different language as the email?

Hi Jan,

I do not think you can hack this code, since, AFAIK, the page is in fact generated dynamically by Marketo when the email is sent, in order to duplicate exactly the content that is sent to each lead.

The "preferred language" field and a preference center is roughly the only possible solution, I am afraid.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Actually, the content is generated whenever the lead (re)visits the HTML View page (so, for example, it does pick up segment changes).

However, your point still stands, which is that the HTML View will reflect the email as it would be sent to that lead at that point in time.  Unlike with an LP, unfortunately, you can't do a temporary segmentation.

That said, if you included all languages in the email, hiding those that didn't apply at send time, you could later reveal them using the CSS :target tag in HTML View. Of course this would only apply to short emails and/or a small number of localized variants.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

You can always add Google Translate.

Website Translator

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for your feedback. Here's how we've solved it internally. In the English email, we have added a link to "I want to receive this email in German". When the prospect clicks the link, it activates a trigger to send them the German email.

Once we have a language preference field enabled, we will use another trigger to change the language preference to German.

Sarah_Greig2
Level 3

I am coming up with the same issue. I thought that you could create an email with a view page as web page and then insert that link into the email e.g I send an english email but have a link view as German. Not sure if you tried this and abandoned it? I'm thinking there would possibly be tracking issues on clicked links within the email?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I thought that you could create an email with a view page as web page and then insert that link into the email e.g I send an english email but have a link view as German.

The View As Web Page link is tokenized for both the lead and the email.  So while you could send yourself a copy of the German email and paste the resulting link back into the email, anyone who clicked that link would be tracked as you.  It would "work" visually for the lead but throw reporting way out of whack.

My ShareMaker experiment allows you to "burn" a sharing-safe version of an email with all lead-specific info removed -- basically turning an email into an LP.  So you could safely link to the ShareMaker German version.

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

Hi Jan,

A quick solution we did for Montreal was to paste the English email HTML into a Rich Text object on a blank landing page. We then just link to it from our French emails. Just ensure you don't reference any email scripts.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jan,

And BtW, could you please move this question to Products where I feel it belongs? Champion Program is for questions about the program itself.

-Greg

Janet Dulsky

Janet_Dulsky
Marketo Employee

Moved.