Re: Email Insights? Does anyone else feel this is completely non-intuitive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at building a report in the Revenue Explorer for link clicks? I built it with:

Rows

Full name

Company Name

Columns

Email Link

Measures

Clicked

Filters

Email name includes

Click is greater than or equal to 1 for each full name

It's a bit slow, but if you leave it running in the background and get on with someone else, it's fine.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This requires having RCA/RCE, correct? We don't have this on our instance.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
Todd_Baker1
Level 1

The current instance that I am working in does not have RCE, I would trade it in a second for the Email Insights. This system is severely lacking in the depth. And what would be a great analytics only scratches the surface. The by platform "device or by OS is utterly useless. I get Mobile, Desktop, tablet or other.  Surprisingly, most of my opens are for "Other" what does that even mean? Apple iWatch?

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_0.png

Then for OS, I see the above. In my experience, most opens have migrated to mobile, and iOs is the highest metrics for OS.
It is very hard to navigate. RCE gave me, albeit slow to process, a much deeper dive into my campaigns.
I find myself getting frustrated every time I go into this tool.

I read the docs but it just seems so superficial overall.

Amy_Goldfine

Yeah, I basically don't use Email Insights. I can't get the information I need. And it shows raw #s on the dashboard, not open/click rates, so that's useless.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
Lucho_Soto
Level 5

I don't use email insights either, mainly because Marketo's email click metrics are not reliable. Our market uses strong spam filters, and so 70% of our "clicks" are just the spam filters testing out our links.

As a result, we've given up on using "clicks link in email" entirely. We just track "visited web page" with the email's utm tags in our smart campaigns, but those filters aren't available on Email Insights.

Valerie_Whitin2
Level 5

I felt like this was the case at my last company too. I tried convincing my boss that we needed to switch our focus to web visits and form fills, but unfortunately those number didn't look nearly as good, so we stuck with the standard clicks and opens. To me that says we no one was actually consuming our content, and we should have focused on increasing that, rather than our CTR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a great article in EConsultancy this morning about email optimisation that talks about best practice for measurement:

https://econsultancy.com/blog/69730-ask-the-experts-email-marketing-optimisation/

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There was a great article in EConsultancy this morning about email optimisation that talks about best practice for measurement:

Eh, I don't think it was so great.

For one thing, the person opining about people not understanding statistical significance himself doesn't understand significance.

And he also says this:

Therefore, the dominant strategy is to use opens as a proxy metric for email marketing success.

Which is spoken like someone who's never heard of a little product called Microsoft Outlook.

Dan_Stevens_

I have to agree with Sanford on this one. Not to mention the significance some still give to “opens”.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

LOL