Country and State Standardization

Kristin_Johnso2
Level 2

Re: Country and State Standardization

Thanks Dan! I figured this was going to be the case but was hoping to potentially get around that.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Also you should think of running these as recurring batch campaigns if the data just needs standardized and isn't required before you can sync to your CRM.

Kristin_Johnso2
Level 2

Unfortunately the way our SFDC instance is configured it will not sync unless spelled out. I wish I could have these campaigns as batch rather than trigger, but it doesn't look like it will be possible until our SFDC admin is willing to change things.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

I find in this case that I add wait steps to my actual program in the Flow, then that will allow Marketo to do the changes you have set then the sync will work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question for the group - how did you handle territories (British, US, etc.)? Did you essentially treat the list from Salesforce as the only data set, or did you omit some countries/remove because of them being territories? Any insight to territories or how you edited that Salesforce list would be helpful. Thanks!

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would also recommend removing embargo countries as well.  Something that is easy to overlook. 

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Alayna,

In my experience this is very much a business process decision and how things specifically affect your company: to use a bland example, does it make more sense for your company to treat Puerto Rico as part of the United States or a standalone location? Depending on how you do billing, shipping, territory management and so forth, you're going to come to different answers here. It's a conversation that needs to involve people from several departments.

Generally, when having this conversation, if a company doesn't know much either way I'll start with countries.csv  |  Dataset Publishing Language  |  Google Developers as a list to work with. Alternately, I've used the list of Marketo's Inferred Countries and the UN.

Basically, only your company is going to know if you care whether the Åland Islands (not a country by Google, country by Marketo, not a country by the UN) should in fact be a valid country value.