SOLVED

Adding Custom Object Lookup in Marketo Form

Go to solution
Joon_Park
Level 2

Adding Custom Object Lookup in Marketo Form

Is there anyway to add a Custom Object Lookup in a Marketo Form?

I have a One custom object to many Lead relationship in accordance to Gregoire's suggestion here: https://nation.marketo.com/thread/38022-one-custom-object-to-many-leads-relationship

Is there anyway to have a lookup of the Custom Object in a Marketo Form? I don't see an option to use them in Forms, only using Custom Objects with Filters in the Docs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Adding Custom Object Lookup in Marketo Form

Not possible.  COs are not exposed in forms.

You can use synthetic fields on forms and transport CO information in JSON blocks. Then do a nightly batch* to transform the JSON blocks into COs.

(You probably haven't given enough thought to using JSON text fields instead of COs. I've never been disappointed in using JSON as "poor man's COs" because they're so much more accessible -- both JS and Velocity can hit them.)

*While you may be tempted to use a trigger + webhook to update COs in real-time, I caution strongly against giving any end user the ability to consume API calls in this way. You don't have enough calls to make a resilient site.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

What's your use case?

Joon_Park
Level 2

We have a one custom object to many leads relationship.

The user should be able to select the custom object that he/she is associated with in the Marketo form.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

How would this person know?

Not sure Marketo allows this yet. Did you check the docs?

Joon_Park
Level 2

I did check the docs, they only show how to use them in Filters with Smart Campaigns.

So in the docs, they have examples with Students, Courses, and Enrollments. If Courses is a custom object, how would a user select a course?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Not possible.  COs are not exposed in forms.

You can use synthetic fields on forms and transport CO information in JSON blocks. Then do a nightly batch* to transform the JSON blocks into COs.

(You probably haven't given enough thought to using JSON text fields instead of COs. I've never been disappointed in using JSON as "poor man's COs" because they're so much more accessible -- both JS and Velocity can hit them.)

*While you may be tempted to use a trigger + webhook to update COs in real-time, I caution strongly against giving any end user the ability to consume API calls in this way. You don't have enough calls to make a resilient site.