Email Invalid Flag & Creating a Smart Campaign to Update It

Eric_Podewell1
Level 2

Email Invalid Flag & Creating a Smart Campaign to Update It

In Marketo when an email is flagged as invalid, the value does not automatically change from True to False if that email is manually corrected in Marketo or when it is corrected in SFDC and synced back to Marketo. To try to account for this, I have set up a smart campaign to identify when the data value changes in the Email Address field and have the flow change the data value in the Email Invalid field to False.

Has anyone else found a better solution to this? Or is this the standard process others have set-up to change the Email Invalid value when an email has been corrected?

10 REPLIES 10
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Email Invalid Flag & Creating a Smart Campaign to Update It

Eric,

Correct, there is no out-of-the-box smart campaign to uncheck email invalid if the email address is updated. So what you have here will work. I would make sure you adjust the qualification rules to make sure that leads can flow through every time and in the smart list, make sure you only include leads that are currently email invalid, so not all leads run through unnecessarily.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

In new instances, at least for awhile, there was an Reset Invalid Campaign that triggers when Email Address is changed and then flips Email Invalid=F.

Yes, you should do this if not done already. Ok to be a batch too.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Here is the way to set it up as a trigger:

smart list:

pastedImage_0.png

Flow:

pastedImage_1.png

-Greg

Michael_Mason
Level 4

Grégoire, forgive me if this is a rookie question, but what does the trigger Campaign Is Requested do in this scenario?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You may have a situation where the email address has not changed, but the conditions that led to it being invalid have changed (like DNS misconfiguration).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

This discussion is great, thanks for the screenshots for the trigger. I am setting that up now in our instance. Do you have to have another batch or rigger campaign running in the background to coorespond with the Campaign Is Requested trigger? I am also new to using that trigger.

Thank you!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Amanda,

The "campaign is requested" is there in case you need to call the trigger campaign from a batch one, in order to reprocess a list of leads. You can also use it to run the triggered campaign manually from a lead in the database (right click it, then select special->request campaign-.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a follow up to this discussion, I am finding that even if an email address changes from lower case to upper case or vice versa, this flow is being triggered. Nothing else in the email address has changed and is most likely coming into Marketo from a .csv list import. As a result of this, the email is changing from invalid to valid and then back to invalid again soon after I send an email campaign to it again. Are there any tips on how to address this? Should I de-dupe my list before importing to make sure I'm not importing any leads that already exist? Or always ensure that my email addresses are in lower case?

Thanks!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Eric,

Better create a new question than reopening an old one to get a quicker answer.

One way to homogenize all email addresses in lowercase is to use a webhook.

-Greg