SOLVED

Web page tracking of known visitor not working on all domains

Go to solution
Charlie_Marketo
Level 2

Web page tracking of known visitor not working on all domains

We have munchkin tracking deployed on multiple domains - both live production sites and their respective development sites.

For site A, tracking of known visitors is working on both Live and Dev.

For site B, tracking of known visitors is working on Live but not on Dev

I have been trying to debug why we aren't seeing tracking on Site B Dev but am at a loss.  This is where I have got to:

• The same Munchkin code is on both Dev and Live and is deployed using the same method
  • Form fills are being tracked on both Dev and Live
  • I am seeing visitWebPage POSTs being sent on both Dev and Live

The difference appears to revolve around _mkt_trk

• On Live _mkt_trk cookie exists and is sent along with the form post
  • On Dev the _mkt_trk cookie exists in Chrome but not in Firefox and in both browsers the value sent along with the form fill POST is null
  • There is no difference in the browser settings used for the Dev and Live sites

What I can't figure out is why there is no _mkt_trk cookie on Dev in Firefox but there is in Chrome or why the _mkt_trk value is not being sent along with the Form post in Chrome.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Web page tracking of known visitor not working on all domains

Looking at the dev site separately it was clear this has the same cause as Re: Cookie “_mkto_trk” has been rejected for invalid domain.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

The munchkin tracking cookie is called _mkto_trk, while the corresponding form field is called _mkt_trk. 

Do you see any console errors upon loading the dev site in Chrome and Firefox browsers? I believe you have checked the save endpoint in the browser's console to see if the _mkt_trk field got populated or not upon form submit. Also, if possible, it'd be helpful if you could share the URLs for us to see what's going on.

Charlie_Marketo
Level 2

Sorry, yes munchkin tracking cookie _mkto_trk isn't being created on Dev site in Firefox.

No console errors.

Unfortunately I can't share the dev site urls as they are only accessible by whitelisted IPs

SanfordWhiteman

Check that you have Tracking Protection off for the Dev domain. Also note that the local origin https://localhost, if you’re using that, has stricter CORS rules than remote origins (dev.example.com pointing to your local box is considered remote, localhost is not).

Charlie_Marketo
Level 2

Tracking protection settings in the browser are the same for both dev and live and dev is on an external server (not localhost).

Could there be something on the dev server causing the issue, and if so, where should I start looking?

SanfordWhiteman

I’d be looking in the Dev Tools » Network tab and Console to see what’s really happening.

It would probably take 5m to figure out if I could see your screen, if you feel like DMing me.

SanfordWhiteman

Looking at the dev site separately it was clear this has the same cause as Re: Cookie “_mkto_trk” has been rejected for invalid domain.

SanfordWhiteman

@Charlie_Marketo check your private messages!