Re: View custom objects linked to company

peteaxtell
Level 1

View custom objects linked to company

Our CRM to Markto mapping is as follows:

Account : Company

Investment : Investment

In CRM, a contact is linked to an account. Investments are also linked to an account. I have created a custom object 'Investment' which is linked to Company, but cannot find any way to view the Investment record. It also does not seem possible to view a list of Company records.

What is the point in having any objects except lead if you are only able to see the lead table and the rest of the database is not relational? How can I view any custom objects that are part of a one-to-many relationship with company?

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

To use a custom object, it must be associated to a lead , contact  or account  object in Salesforce.

I would suggest going through this detailed documentation for setting this up so that your custom object fields and data get sync in your CRM along with your normal lead data.

peteaxtell
Level 1

I am not using Salesforce, I am syncing to Dynamics using the API rather than the connector. 

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

If you were to use out of the box Microsoft Dynamics integration with marketo I would have recommended you this. But since you are using the custom API connector to sync, you can also use the CO APIs available in marketo (check here) for exporting the CO data from Marketo and then you can use the MS dynamics API to ingest those CO data. I am not sure if your current level of customization allows this or not. But it sure is worth exploring the possibility. 🙂

Michael_Florin
Level 10

You're right. You can't "see" the Custom Object in the sense that you could view it as a list or export it. The purpose for the CO to exist in Marketo is to be used in Smart Lists for filtering persons.

We have a couple of COs being linked to the Company object, and if you filter on them ("Has Custom Object X" or "Was added to Custom Object X"), Marketo will return all contacts that live in accounts that have that object. If you have set "Show in Person Detail" to "Show", you can see the object on a person's detail page under the respective tab.

(If you happen to have "Leads" in Accounts in your CRM - at least this is true for Salesforce - your leads will not show as being part of the Custom Object. This relationship only works for Accounts and Contacts.)

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Expanding on Michael and Darshil's good answers, it's not that the Marketo database is "not relational." It's entirely relational.  

But, like in any app, that doesn't mean you should expect an individual CRUD interface for every table/view. Marketo only considers Leads to be "first-class" records. Many native concepts, such as forms and even web activities, are not even first-class in the sense that you can't pivot a report around them.