I have an email that has four links using the same URL. I assigned each link a different Link ID. When I pull the email link performance report, it shows 95 clicks by 61 people on that URL. But when I add a constraint to the report smart list to only show clicks for each Link ID. The total between the four reports is 194 clicks by 71 people. I would think that the total of the four reports by Link ID would add up to what is reported in the basic email link performance report. Why does it not match up?
I would first make sure you refresh the reports and make sure they are filtered in the Setup and smart list correctly.
The email link performance report is going to show all clicks (left column; 95) along with the number of leads (right column; 61), this means that links were clicked multiple times by the same lead as well as leads clicking on more than one separate link.
I understand the different between clicks and leads, but I don't understand why when filtered by Link ID I don't get the same total numbers. I would think that the sum of my four reports filtered by Link ID (currently summing to 194) should actually sum to 95.
Clicks by Link ID show 71 leads and the email link performance for the URL shows 61 leads. That means that at most 10 leads clicked two separate links or the same link twice. So if one lead clicked two different Link ID's they will show up on both Link ID reports and you are counting them twice. But they will only appear once on the email link performance report because they only clicked that URL link one time.
Hello, I recently had the same scenario; numerous links within my email all going to the same destination. Our reporting goal was to see which particular link (within the email) people were clicking on most (logo, hero image, link in body text, tec.). I initially tested adding a unique ID (as mentioned in this post) to each link, and then worked to separate out the IDs within the Marketo Link Report for that email. That got a little confusing, and at best, I was making assumptions (as best I could) on the returned data.
In a second attempt, I worked with our SEO lead to create UTM tagged links for each URL. In creating the UTM tags for each link, Marketo saw each link as unique, and within the Link Report separated out all the tagged links accordingly. This approach allowed me to see all the links within a single report view, and also see clicks, % clicks, people, etc. associated on each tagged link. This approach quickly allowed us to see the data we wanted - which links were the most popular. We used a Google tool to create the UTM tagged links, and used the "Content" field within the UTM tag to distinguish the URL from the others (for example: logo, hero image, body text, headline, etc.).
This worked well for us, and so wanted to share out in case someone else may find this approach helpful too.