Re: Unsubscribe Attribute and preference page opt out

adele_briggs
Level 3

Unsubscribe Attribute and preference page opt out

Our instance currently has a preference page set up to manage the unsubscribes. 

When a contact opts out of email comms, a custom field is updated called Marketing Opt In = True/False.  I've tried to research if I need to ensure that the Unsubscribe attribute needs to be updated/managed in Marketo. For example do I need to add a trigger that looks if Marketing Opt In = False that Unsubscribe is True?

https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/subscription-center-options-email-program-unsubscr... 

I have noticed that when we send out an email blast that the unsubscribes are not being recognised in the Summary of the program.

Do they need to be added as a member of the Program with a Status from a trigger to collect this information?

Is this looking at the Unsubscribe attribute? 

If you could help guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

thanks 

Adele

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I have noticed that when we send out an email blast that the unsubscribes are not being recognised in the Summary of the program.

Do they need to be added as a member of the Program with a Status from a trigger to collect this information?

Is this looking at the Unsubscribe attribute?

Yes, it's looking at the system Unsubscribed  (with a d at the end) field.

All Marketo built-in reports/behaviors that refer to "unsubscribes" refer to the system field. You can have custom fields and logic for your preference center, and (attempt to) exclude the same people using Smart List filters, but it's only the Unsubscribed field that's used automatically.

The Unsubscribed value is also remembered, even if the email address is deleted and re-added to the system, which is called Durable Unsubscribe. This won't happen automatically with your custom fields.

adele_briggs
Level 3

thank you for clarifying it is what I suspected.

adele_briggs
Level 3

Ooo just to clarify, when you say Unsubscribed automatically, does that mean that if Unsubscribed = True and the contact falls into a static list that they will not receive the email? Or is it good practice to exclude them in a master list?

Thanks

Phillip_Wild
Level 10

To add to what Sanford has said - my personal experience is that you have to basically ignore the "Unsubscribed" figure in Marketo reports once you are using different unsubscribe processes. Those reports aren't able to know what your custom unsubscribe field is, and what it should contain. Annoying.

One thing to watch out for: if someone unsubscribes from your emails through the list-unsubscribe headers in Gmail or similar, this will change the default Unsubscribed value to be True. This wouldn't automatically change your other unsubscribe field, so I would create a smart campaign that looks for the Unsubscribed field changing to True where your custom unsubscribed field is False.

adele_briggs
Level 3

thank you for adding this, my thoughts were to add in a rule that changes the unsubscribed to keep them in sync.

Gunjan_Batra1
Level 4

I also suggest using 2 different fields to track Optin and opt out. In you case opt out field is "Unsubscribed" field. In case you are also capturing optins for other categories like "Events" "Newsletter" etc. It's beneficial to use 2 separate optin and opt out fields for same. Like Event optin and Event Opt out.

adele_briggs
Level 3

Good advice. I intend to improve our process but wanted to make sure I understand how it is working.thanks.