Re: Tracking multiple touches to the same program

Carmella_Dunn-H
Level 2

Tracking multiple touches to the same program

Hi all,

We have recently started running lead gen campaigns in digital channels such as LinkedIn Lead Gen and BrightTALK, where leads engage with our content through a hosted form. So, we now have multiple forms on different platforms pointing to the same content asset. This is a new setup for us, and I'm running into some questions.

What I'm attempting to do is to funnel these leads into our current content programs while also attributing them to the source channel via a separate program (e.g. LinkedIn Lead Gen). This avoids creating a bunch of new content programs unique to the channel. I like this.

I've already set this up for LinkedIn Lead Gen, and it works nicely for leads that only engage once.

BUT, since the program status will only update once on a single lead, I am losing all additional engagements with the LinkedIn platform.

Here's what the flow looks like, if that helps:

First touch: Lead A fills out content form 1 on LinkedIn > Lead A is captured in LinkedIn Lead Gen program > Lead A is captured in existing content program 1

Second touch: Lead A fills out content form 2 on LinkedIn > LinkedIn Lead Gen program status change is skipped > Lead A is captured in existing content program 2

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Carmella,

You will need to investigate the "offer channel" model that is not that easy to implement in Marketo.

The dichotomy between one unique program for each channel and one unique program for each content will not enable you to do what you are looking for.

Start voting here :

Now, until this is implemented, you will need to start with implementing UTM fields and capturing them in appropriate fields.

To go further, you can use one program for each content-channel combination. I do not like this approach much, though, because when the number of content increases, it drives the number of programs to a enormous number and it becomes soon unmanageable.

another possibility is to use SFDC campaigns for each program-channel combination, if you do use SFDC as a CRM. in this model, you only use 1 program for each content, but the you add the leads to dedicated content-channel campaigns.

-Greg

Carmella_Dunn-H
Level 2

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your response!

One detail I did not include is that our main concern is setting this up to report on in Brightfunnel, which relies on SFDC Campaign Membership to count touches.

With that context, here’s how I ended up solving this, at least for now:

First, I built out bucket campaigns based on UTMs (or other values if there is a proper platform integration) to identify the source channel.

Then, since to record the campaign touch every time the lead engages on the platform (not just the first), I added additional program statuses to the channel that will update based on the number of times they had engaged on the platform: Engaged 01, Engaged 02, Engaged 03, etc.

And meanwhile, the leads are added to the content Offer program separately.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Why not use score fields for the number of engagements, if the counter isn't being shared across leads?

Carmella_Dunn-H
Level 2

Good question Sanford,

That would probably work just as well, and probably better since the field is unique to the channel. Maybe I was just curious to try the webhook

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carmella,

You can extend the offer-channel to salesforce, using parent-child campaigns. On parent campaign for the offer (e.g. the seminar) and 1 child for each channel. The child and parent use the same member status list. You then do not use Marketo program-campaign sync. Instead, you use "add to SFDC campaign" flow steps, based on the values in the UTM fields.

You can even make the system easier, using a CampaignID parameter to your URLs, containing SFDC Campaign ID (use 18 digits ID's), then, in Marketo "add to SFDC campaign" flow step, use the campaign ID that you have captures with form hidden fields.

-Greg