SOLVED

Re: Text-Only version usage

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Text-Only version usage

Hello Community,

May seem like a silly question, but I', just starting out on Marketo, and was wondering about the full usage of the text-only version of an email. Is what displayed here only seem when you just send an email in text-only format, or is this also seen if an email recipient chooses to not view the email in html?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Teresa, the text version will be viewed if someone chooses not to view the email in HTML. For this reason, I'd always advise reviewing both the HTML and text versions of emails that you'll be sending.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Teresa, the text version will be viewed if someone chooses not to view the email in HTML. For this reason, I'd always advise reviewing both the HTML and text versions of emails that you'll be sending.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, it's designed for straight text emails. Sometimes you may want to send text only because it looks like it comes from a real person. But other times you don't want (or need) to send HTML and images. Many hard core IT people use text only to avoid tracking and potential viruses.

Geoff_Krajeski1

While most do not send emails as text-only, there are some applications, as Josh Hill​ has just mentioned.

To make it seem more personalized and that it came from a 'real' person would be one of these valid reasons!

Devraj_Grewal

Teresa,

Also in an effort to combat some more advanced spam filters, a text-only version may be preferred over HTML.

Trinity_Levens1
Level 1

Hi Devraj,  Emails are sent with both HTML and Text version, can we determine who is only viewing the text version vs the HTML?  

Trinity Levenson
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, only the HTML version can ever result in an Opened Email activity -- but only if images are enabled. In other words, you can't tell the difference between an opener of HTML without images and an opener of the plain Text version. 

If you tag your links as coming from the HTML version vs. the Text version, then Clicked Email activities will be distinct. But then you have to reckon with mail scanners making click tracking close to useless on its own. When paired with conversion tracking, however, it will give you useful data.

Trinity_Levens1
Level 1

Thanks Sanford!!  This definitely helps provide the exact context I was looking for.  The link tracking would require some changes to internal processes for tagging, but in terms of actual opens, HTML w/images makes total sense.  

Trinity Levenson