Re: Testing Web Forms

freeza
Level 3

Testing Web Forms

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an easy way to test the web forms we have in our company website. At the moment, we go into each forms inside the website and fill them out individually to see whether everything is working ad the UTM Params are passing properly. I want to find an easy self sufficient way instead of doing this one by one manually. Does anyone have a good idea on how I can test these web forms out in Marketo to see people are flowing in as expected and the UTM params getting tracked properly?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You don’t have to fill fields out manually, but you do have to use a browser to submit the form.

You could have a bit of Marketo Forms 2.0 JS that fills in the visible form fields using Form#setValues() and then calls Form#submit(). This could be triggered only when the hash is #debugMode or something like that, so just visiting the page fills in the form and submits it.

Or you could automate the whole process using WebDriver/Selenium/etc. but if you’re not familiar with that area, it’s quite a learning curve.

freeza
Level 3

I meant more like making a smart list in Marketo by putting in the filter filled out form in this specific page and put the time frame to today to get daily updated and also put a querystring or something to track the UTM param.

SanfordWhiteman

I meant more like making a smart list in Marketo by putting in the filter filled out form in this specific page and put the time frame to today to get daily updated and also put a querystring or something to track the UTM param.

OK... not sure what that has to do with “testing” if you’re not trying to check if the form is working end-to-end?

You can subscribe to a Smart List that expects there to be at least one person who qualifies for each desired combination each day, i.e. it should have exactly 8 people on it. This only works if you make sure to automate 8 form posts a day.

If you’re not simulating interaction with the form, there’s no Smart List that on its own can tell you if things are working. “No new leads today for UTM combination C-D-E” doesn’t distinguish between a technical problem and a marketing problem.

freeza
Level 3

It's testing whether people are flowing through to the system properly. So It is testing to see if the form is getting the contact into Marketo properly. 

So Manual test of this would look like, me going to the LP that has the form in from our Company Website and I make a UTM Param and insert it into the URL and Refresh the page and then Fill out the form. After that It would take me to the Thank You page and then get my contact added into the Marketo system. And if I go to that LP Program and go to the results page it would show myself and then when I click on the result it would show the UTM Params that's been passed and other necessary informations. 

So basically I am looking to do this in an easy way bi-weekly. Since there's so many forms inside the company website it might take alot of time to go into each to see whether everything is functioning properly. 

So I am looking for something that I can use a marketo Tool or other tools to figure this out in an easy way so it automatically shows me the datas that's flowing into the marketo system when someone sigh up in those Forms. 

SanfordWhiteman

So Manual test of this would look like, me going to the LP that has the form in from our Company Website and I make a UTM Param and insert it into the URL and Refresh the page and then Fill out the form

These browser-side steps need not be done manually, as I explained above.

(You seem to be annoyed that filling out the form is part of your manual testing process, but also not interested in automating that part. This conflict makes it hard to figure out your goals.)

automatically shows me the datas that's flowing into the marketo system when someone sigh up in those Forms. 

What does “show me” mean exactly, as a detailed business requirement?

You can download the entire Activity Log using the Bulk Extract API, focusing on Filled Out Form and Data Value Changes activities. And/or make use of the Lead Changes API to detect changes to key fields.

Using the above, you could even create a streaming visualization of all form fillouts as they come in. This is something you have to build yourself, of course, not an internal feature.

freeza
Level 3

Yeah, I am trying to build something but I just need to make sure I have all the necessary filters I need. 

SanfordWhiteman

Yeah, I am trying to build something but I just need to make sure I have all the necessary filters I need. 

The Get Lead Changes API filters on field names and time ranges. The Bulk Activity Extract API filters on activity types and time ranges. Still not clear on the business requirements for the final product.