Smart List Creation

Deeps
Level 4

Smart List Creation

Hi,

Please help me to create a smart list to pull contacts with 'email addresses' filter.

I have to pull 70,000 contacts (list received has only email addresses, we have those contacts in marketo); I know we can use email addresses filter to pull the list, but the list is large and email addresses field will not allow to add all 70,000 email addresses?; please assist me with this.

Thanks,

Deepthi.

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Smart List Creation

Can you try thinking about/searching for a broader criteria that would give you exact/subset/superset of the results? e.g., something that applies to all/part of the people that you’re interested to see? Maybe these people belong to a certain business unit(s), group, or they have specific job titles, etc. You may need to do a bit of data analyses where in you’d need to look at some of the records if your interest in Marketo to find the trend/common criteria/filter value(s). Also, right off the bat since all of these records are contacts, you can include the SFDC Type is Contact filter in the SL to

filter out, Marketo only and Lead records from your SL. 

If you’re able to come up with a broader SL criteria such that  it applies to a superset of people that you’re interested in, then you can use excel’s VLookup to lookup fields for the people that you’re interested in.

As a last resort, adding multiple ORed Email Address filters in the SL is always an option. Do you want to export all/certain fields for these 70k records from Marketo? 

Michael_Florin
Level 10

I know we can use email addresses filter to pull the list, but the list is large and email addresses field will not allow to add all 70,000 email addresses?; please assist me with this.

The field allows for 50.000 characters. So you can add ~2000 email addresses to one filter. So for your 70k you'd need 35 filters like that:

Michael_Florin_0-1667205662397.png

I don't really want to recommend this procedure as it's terribly inconvenient, but it will work.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Don't forget that you can simply import the list of emails directly into a Static List, then filter on that. I'd much sooner do that than try to push so many emails into the Smart List criteria, which will be slower with no upside.

Katja_Keesom

That would be my route as well if pulling them with proper smart list criteria is not an option. Using smart list filters with the characteristics as was done outside Marketo to get to the 70.000 records in the first place would always be my first option as you said in your first response.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

True. But Smart List filters would only find existing records, whereas an import would also create records. That might not be desirable.

Darshil_Shah1

You can import only the existing email addresses to the static list by setting the List Import Mode to "Skip new people and updates" during the list import process (ref. snapshot below) - 

Darshil_Shah1_0-1667397589387.png

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Ah yes, true. Thanks for reminding me.