Re: Should you create a channel and program for every Lead Source you have solely for acquisition and attribution purposes?

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Should you create a channel and program for every Lead Source you have solely for acquisition and attribution purposes?

Hello All!

Background:

I did some research on the community but didn't fell like I can answer this question confidently.

Question:

Should you create a channel and program for every Lead Source you have (even if you have 12) solely for acquisition and attribution purposes?  If so what would be the basic process for setting up the program for such a process?

Examples:

Lead Source: Rep Generated

Channel: Rep Generated

Channel Status': What would these be?  Would you have to define a success status?

Program: How would you set this up?

Thanks ahead of time!

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Should you create a channel and program for every Lead Source you have solely for acquisition and attribution purposes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh, I've been looking into your Offer-Channel attribution method and was wondering 2 things:

1. Can you still figure out multi touch attribution with this method? And if so, how?

2. Are channels only recorded when a lead fills out a form? Or can you record channels when leads engage with ungated content and the website in general?

I'm very new to all of this (and I'm very confused why channel reporting is not a standard feature) so please forgive any stupid questions.

Thanks!

Josh_Hill13

I'm not sure  why it's not a full feature either. There are several ideas that you can vote for as Greg points out.

1. Yes, MT is better under this method, but it takes more time to setup. Under Marketo's basic Channel only setup, you get MT as well, however, it only covers Channel or how Marketo sets it up.

2. You can setup the system to set Success for any behavior if you wish. Form Fill is the most reliable. You may have issues with Visits to site or content if the trigger isn't setup right.

Jessica_Kao3

Hi Nate

It depends on a lot of things whether you want to have a 1:1 relationship.  For the most part it is almost a 1:1 relationship.  I'm actually giving a talk on addressing this question and the other question you posted but realized you are not here in the bay area otherwise I would invite you to our MUG this week. 

For Acquisition and attribution, program membership and acquisition program as well as program status (success stage or not) is vital.  I do most of my reporting off of channels, some with lead source but not much.  I spend the majority of my time looking at program and channel reports. 

In your example, you are correct I have a lead source called sales generated, and a channel with 1 program called sales generated.  Any one that sales creates in SFDC is put into this program with that acq program.  The statuses are member and do not use (success)  I do not set anyone in this program as success otherwise that program will get a share of the pipeline and revenue credit and will dilute the MT attribution.  This is the same reasoning why I do not use email program and set anything there with a success.  I'll expand more on your other post.  I use the email program channel very very sparingly and do not set success steps in email because of the MT attribution dilution. 

Sounds like you are asking all the right questions to set yourself up for success.  Just hit me up if you have more questions on this. 

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi All,

It order to make Marketo much solid with regards to attribution reporting, vote here:

-Greg