SOLVED

Setting Up First API

Go to solution
stacenic
Level 3

Setting Up First API

I am currently setting up my first integration in Marketo (not the first for our instance but the first one I have personally set up). When setting up a new API integration - do I need to create a new role for each API integration that I set up? Or is there one general API role that is set up that can be used across multiple integrations when setting up under "launch point" 

The developer documentation is confusing. Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Setting Up First API

Hypothetically you could set up one user, but I certainly would not recommend it for multiple reasons:

• Per user, I would check which access they actually need and not assign more rights than necessary.
  • There is a limit to the amount of API calls you can make in a day, so it is very useful to be able to keep track of which integration is consuming the volumes.
  • If you are encountering errors, usually Marketo Support will be able to tell you which API user is causing them. Separating them thus helps in troubleshooting errors.
  • Multiple external agencies using the same credentials is usually not something your security department appreciates.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Katja_Keesom

Hypothetically you could set up one user, but I certainly would not recommend it for multiple reasons:

• Per user, I would check which access they actually need and not assign more rights than necessary.
  • There is a limit to the amount of API calls you can make in a day, so it is very useful to be able to keep track of which integration is consuming the volumes.
  • If you are encountering errors, usually Marketo Support will be able to tell you which API user is causing them. Separating them thus helps in troubleshooting errors.
  • Multiple external agencies using the same credentials is usually not something your security department appreciates.
stacenic
Level 3

Thank you! This is super helpful. I ended up creating a new user role specifically for this new integration. 

stacenic
Level 3

I know I already accepted the answer but you mention User. I set up a new Role for this integration, but I did not create a new User. Should I create a new User & a new Role when setting up an new API? Or just a new Role will suffice. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A new User is what you need, far more than you need a new Role!

If you already have a Role with the precise permissions, it's not strictly necessary to create a new one. But without a new User you lose all the accounting & auditing methods Katja mentions.

stacenic
Level 3

Okay this is what confuses me. When creating a new User - should I just use my own email address & name the user the name of the new API being set up?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I like to use an email address that corresponds as closely as possible to the real consumer of the service (i.e. includes their domain) but as long as it's clear from the Name/Description you could use your own address.
Katja_Keesom

Totally agree with Sanford. The email address does not even have to be an existing one, Marketo will never email to it. It is however the value that will show up in your API usage report, so setting it up with something recognizable for the integration you are setting up would be the direction I'd go as well.