Sending segmented emails and segmented landing page tests

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending segmented emails and segmented landing page tests

I have segmented both my email and my landing pages based on the same segmentation but I can't seem to find a way to test if both the email and the landing page segmentation work. Is there a way to do this?

8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Sending segmented emails and segmented landing page tests

you can do a preview and then cycle through the segmentations.

With emails, you can do

• Send Sample
  • Choose a Lead that matches a segment
  • send sample to yourself.

otherwise, you would have to make a test lead that matches the segmentation and then cookie yourself to test it live.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I place myself in one of the segments. Will this not test the segment? My problem is that I can't test the landing page segments. i.e., I have a segment in my email that is the same segment on my landing pages but when I test the email I get the default landing page. Why?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Lynette,

When you write that you have segmented you LPs and emails, does that mean that you have used dynamic content in the emails and landing pages?

Normally, if you set yourself in a segment, and you wend the email to yourself, then click, the LP should display in the same segment. But it may happen that your browser still has a cookie from a previous test that does not match with your lead and drives the display of a different segment. Try cleansing the cookies in you browser and try again.

-Greg

Rahul_Devgan2
Level 1

Hi Josh,

I am also facing the same issue. I have segmentation on the basis of country for email and landing page. I have a link of landing page on my email. I sent email to myself with lead and then clicked LP link from email. But I got the default LP.

-Rahul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rahul,

have you checked if your test lead actually has a value in that segmentation?

I'm saying this because we have an issue right now with Segmentations. 100k+ leads - pretty much all of them created in the last two weeks - seem to be in no segment at all, i.e. not even in "Default".

Best,

Michael

Rahul_Devgan2
Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. Below are the steps I followed.

1. Created email with segmentation.

2. Created LP with segmentation and URL of that LP was added to the email.

3. Sent the email. I can see that email which came to my inbox is actually segmented as per the requirement. Now when I click on the link of the LP in the email, that LP opens up with Default segmentation.

Do I have to add anything with LP url so that it can open with particular segmentation. Or it can automatically detect the segmentation in email and open up the LP with that segment.

Best Regards,

Rahul Devgan

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does the link in the email have tracking turned off, perhaps?  It needs to be a tracked link in order for the lead to be associated with the session. Try outputting the token {{Lead.First Name}} in the LP.

Make sure you're testing in Incognito/InPrivate windows, by the way. Otherwise your tests are not reflecting what a real lead sees.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have to add anything with LP url so that it can open with particular segmentation. Or it can automatically detect the segmentation in email and open up the LP with that segment.

No, you don't and yes, it can. But you can test if your segmented LP works by forcing the segmented content with a URL parameter.

This is a segmented page, "language" is the name of the segmentation and "german" is the name of the segment. (The ".html" is not necessary)

http://learn.citrixonline.com/Unsubscribe.html?language=german

Remove "?language=german" and the page will default to English - unless you're cookied and member of the German segment.