Sending Multiple Touches in One Batch Campaign, will it check for new qualified people between touch sends?

chanchristina
Level 1

Sending Multiple Touches in One Batch Campaign, will it check for new qualified people between touch sends?

I'm looking to send 3 touches for an event. They're invitations & reminders to register for the event.

I have it set up in one batch campaign:

Smartlist: 

• Member of List in Mailing List
  • Member of Smart List not in 2024 Registrants

Flow Step - Scheduled for 3/13/24

1. Send Email: T1 Invitation
  2. Wait Step: 3/20/24
  3. Send Email: T2 Reminder to Register
  4. Wait Step: 3/25/24
  5. Send Email: T3 Last Chance

I want to suppress registrants from receiving T2 and T3. The 2024 Registrants Smart List will have more people as more people register. Will Marketo check the Smart List for new qualified people prior to sending T2 and T3 to suppress? Or will it only suppress those who were qualified in the 2024 Registrant Smart List at the time of scheduling the batch campaign?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Sending Multiple Touches in One Batch Campaign, will it check for new qualified people between touch sends?

The Smart List is only evaluated when the person first enters the campaign. It will not be automatically reevaluated between flow steps (this would not only annihilate system performance but would also break the very concept of selecting a fixed audience).

You can use Remove from Flow with Add Choice → Member of Smart List to deliberately remove people from a flow when other conditions are met while they’re waiting.

uditmathur
Level 5

Re: Sending Multiple Touches in One Batch Campaign, will it check for new qualified people between touch sends?

Hi,

For the ease of setting up & reporting i will suggest to split your reminder email program in as 2 separate campaign.

Those who register for your event their status can be changed to registered & further user as filter before sending the reminder emails.

You can also try by importing the BP event program from you program library & you the pre built BP event program by customizing to your event details.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/core-marketo-concepts/programs/pr...

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

You can have a single campaign, but add a Remove from Flow flow step before sending the next email (2 and 3).

You’d also have a campaign that marks people as Registered (i.e., change their program status to Registered) after they register for event, so you can use that as a condition, or better, just create a separate smart list with the qualifying criteria (that would also include filter to allow people who haven’t registered for the event as well), and use it in your campaign’s smart list (Member of Smart List in <your qualifying criteria smart list>) and in Remove from this campaign’s Flow flow steps’ condition, i.e., Remove from Flow if Person is not Member of  in <your qualifying criteria smart list>.

You can create 3 separate campaigns as well, but you’ll also have to reference your send criteria in those campaign’s smart list as well, so might as well do it in a single campaign’s flow. It’s just multiple ways of doing the same thing, go with the way you’re comfortable with.