SOLVED

Re: Segmentations and Smart Lists - Another Marketo Exam Practice Question

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Segmentations and Smart Lists - Another Marketo Exam Practice Question

Hi Community,

Here is another question I missed on the practice exam:

An Adobe Marketo Engage expert works for VeggiesRUs and has created the following segmentation:
Guitarrista82_1-1641328602410.png

When sending an email, sometimes the vegetable segmentation is used, while other times a smart list is used.

There are five records in the database:

Anna likes Broccoli and Carrots.

Becca likes Beets and Broccoli.

Siri likes Carrots.

Amy likes Beets.

Jenni likes Celery, Beets, Broccoli and Carrots.

Which statement accurately describes membership in segments and smartlists? 

A. Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots smart list but NOT members of the Carrots segment.

B. Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots segment AND members of the Carrots smart list.

C. Becca and Amy are members of the Beets segment, AND Becca, Amy and Jenni are members of the Beets smart list.

In all honesty, I don't completely understand the question. But I think I have an idea of why "C" would be the correct answer.

Though Becca likes Beets and Broccoli, Beets is No. 1 on her list, and a contact can only qualify for one segment at a time. So Becca would qualify only for the Beets segment. Amy only likes Beets, so she qualifies for the Beets segment as well. Jenni, on the other hand, likes all 4 vegetables but would only qualify for Celery because that is No. 1 on her list. This means that a smart list would need to be used for the other vegetables that she likes.

I'm not exactly clear on how the smart lists and segmentations would work together so not sure why Becca and Amy would also be on the Beets smart list. Does this mean that a smart list would be created for each vegetable and because Becca and Amy have Beets as vegetables they like, they qualify for the list?

Any help would be much appreciated!

LK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

HI @Guitarrista82 

As Sanford mentioned, It is not that Becca has Beets as #1 on her list,  but more that the marketing team has decided that the priority of the segmentation is Celery > Beets > Broccoli > Carrots.

1 - If I create a smart list with the filter (say a field called Vegetable = Beets), then Becca will qualify for this smart list

2 - If I check which segment does Becca fall into, then the segment would be Beets, as Beets is #2 on the priority of the segmentation and Broccoli is on #4, and a person can only belong to 1 segment based on the order or priority set for the segmentation.

A. Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots smart list but NOT members of the Carrots segment.

R) Siri will be in the Carrots segment and therefore 'NOT members of the Carrots segment' is incorrect

B. Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots segment AND members of the Carrots smart list.

R) Anna will be in Broccoli segment and Jenni will be in Celery segment, therefore 'Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots segment' is incorrect

C. Becca and Amy are members of the Beets segment, AND Becca, Amy and Jenni are members of the Beets smart list.

R) Becca will qualify for the Beets segment as the order of priority

Amy will qualify for the Beets segment - the only thing she likes

Becca, Amy and Jenni will qualify for the Beets smart list (if I run a filter say Vegetable = Beets)

Hope this helps

Floyd

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"#1 on her list" isn't a thing though. It's the order of the Segments.

Yes, it appears to refer to a Smart List for each color. But this is pretty sketchily presented (is it really colors for the Segments as opposed to a screenshot of the UI?).
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Sanford,

The question was from the practice test for A0-E554 (new exam) and how I have presented it is exactly the way it is presented in the practice test--I only changed the names and type of food.

I agree that it is not the best format and probably only added to my confusion. But that's what I had to work with.

Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

HI @Guitarrista82 

As Sanford mentioned, It is not that Becca has Beets as #1 on her list,  but more that the marketing team has decided that the priority of the segmentation is Celery > Beets > Broccoli > Carrots.

1 - If I create a smart list with the filter (say a field called Vegetable = Beets), then Becca will qualify for this smart list

2 - If I check which segment does Becca fall into, then the segment would be Beets, as Beets is #2 on the priority of the segmentation and Broccoli is on #4, and a person can only belong to 1 segment based on the order or priority set for the segmentation.

A. Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots smart list but NOT members of the Carrots segment.

R) Siri will be in the Carrots segment and therefore 'NOT members of the Carrots segment' is incorrect

B. Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots segment AND members of the Carrots smart list.

R) Anna will be in Broccoli segment and Jenni will be in Celery segment, therefore 'Anna, Siri, and Jenni are members of the Carrots segment' is incorrect

C. Becca and Amy are members of the Beets segment, AND Becca, Amy and Jenni are members of the Beets smart list.

R) Becca will qualify for the Beets segment as the order of priority

Amy will qualify for the Beets segment - the only thing she likes

Becca, Amy and Jenni will qualify for the Beets smart list (if I run a filter say Vegetable = Beets)

Hope this helps

Floyd

SanfordWhiteman

Also contributing to the question‘s lack of clarity: there’s no mention of the field type(s).

Presumably, it’s [a] an implicitly multi-valued String field (semicolon-delimited, per the Marketo & SFDC tradition) or [b] a set of multiple Boolean fields. Otherwise a person can’t “like Celery, Beets, Broccoli and Carrots.“

• They can have the field LikesVegetableList set to “Celery;Beets;Broccoli;Carrots”.
  • Or they can have the 4 fields LikesCelery, LikesBeets, LikesBroccoli, and LikesCarrots all set to true.

It’s frustrating that the question uses abstractions like “X likes A and B” instead of a technical implementation. After all, the question isn’t about which field types to choose to match a business requirement. The already-chosen tech implementation should be made clear IMO.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Floyd,

Thank you so much for breaking it down. This helps a lot!

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Just curious, are these practice questions for the AD0-E552 (old) exam or for the A0-E554 (new) exam? I reckon it might be the old one, but you cannot take that anymore since this week and I reckon those practice exams are not necessarily a good preparation for taking the new one.

Please make sure you use the correct prep material for the correct exam.

As for the correct answer, I could not have explained it better than the guys already did.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Katja,

This was from the practice test for the new exam, A0-E554. I also reviewed the test for the old exam, but it only showed a percentage of how many questions were correct/incorrect. I was happy to see that this exam provided a rundown of which answers were correct/incorrect.

MitchellH
Level 2

Hopefully this is an artefact of the practice question and not representative of the actual exam, because wow, the presentation of that question really obscures what's actually being asked. If the intent is to test a user's understanding of the difference between Smart Lists and Segmentations, and their knowledge of Segmentation priority, it's hidden behind many layers of bad wording and visuals.

SanfordWhiteman

Agreed.