Re: Segmentation and Spark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentation and Spark

This is my first bulk mail send and it looks like segmentation is missing from Spark, or did I just overlook it somewhere? I'm trying to chunk up our 10,000 count lead database into smaller sends over the course of the next week. 

I've got a single smart list set up for the program I've configured (email and landing page), but how do I configure several smart lists and schedule the chunked-up sends over time? 

The only way I'm seeing I can do this is one of two options:

1) Send to this smart list, then modify the list for subsequent sends until the entire DB is reached (well, mostly)

2) Copy the program 4-5 times and set up the different segments for each of the copied versions (painful)

Since this is my first bulk mail send in Marketo, I'm a little worried that neither of these two options will even work. Are there any Spark users who can walk me through how they have done this?

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use a random sample work flow to break up your big list (Smart list) into the five smaller lists (Static Lists). The flow step you want to use is "add to list". Here is the documentation...Key thing that is hard to get the first time doing this is that you need to create the five emply lists and then populates them with a smart campaign.

As far as your out-bound campaign just use wait steps inbetween the send email flow-steps...

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Mark's solution is the ideal one for what you need.

I believe Segmentations is not in Spark because it is really part of Dynamic Content.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another option is to create the following, without any static lists.  Let's assume there are four batches sent, each with 2,500 leads.

First create a Smart Campaign to wait until a desired send date (your first send date), and then send the email, as follows:
  • Name the campaign "Send Email Batch 1"
  • Smart List = "Campaign is Requested" (trigger)
  • Flow:
    • Step 1 is "Wait" <in the wait step, click the gear, choose "date", then enter the date/time you want to send the batch>
    • Step 2 is "Send Email"
Then simply clone the above Smart Campaign 3 times, one for each subsequent send (for a total of 4 send campaigns), and change the name for each so you can identify them easily.  In each, change the Wait Until date to the desired date/time of each subsequent send.

Now you'll have the following campaigns in your program:

Send Email Batch 1
Send Email Batch 2
Send Email Batch 3
Send Email Batch 4

Then create one Smart Campaign to distribute the 10,000 leads across the four send campaigns as follows:
  • Smart List = All 10,000 leads
  • Flow:
    • Drag in "Request Campaign" action
    • Click "Add Choice" button 3 times
    • In first choice, specify "Random Sample" is "25", Requested Campaign is "Send Email Batch 1"
    • In second choice, specify "Random Sample" is "25", Requested Campaign is "Send Email Batch 2"
    • In third choice, specify "Random Sample" is "25", Requested Campaign is "Send Email Batch 3"
    • For Default choice, Requested Campaign is "Send Email Batch 1"
Then just run the Smart Campaign to distribute the leads across your 4 send campaigns, and each chunk of 2,500 leads will sit in the wait step of each send campaign then go out at the desired date/time.

Sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty easy.  Once you create the simple Smart Campaign to send the email, you just clone it 3 times and change the dates.  Then create the Smart Campaign to distribute the leads across the send campaigns and you're done.  Would take only a few minutes to create.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Michael's way the best!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow... thanks for the detailed responses. I'm going through Michael's suggestion now and will post feedback. Thanks!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem!  Let us know if you run into any snags.
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little anxious about this actually going out in the morning. I hope it will. 🙂

The Smart List for each of the 25% chunks is simply:

- Campaign is Requested
- Source: "is" - "Marketo Flow Action"

Then the Flow is:

- Wait until Jan 15 at 9am MST
- Send email (email name)

Does that sound like I've set it up correctly? The number of leads in each campaign is 2509, so it looks like the correct amount has been pulled in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jason, how did it go?  🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was funny... I asked Marketo Support to verify things once I got them dialed in. At first the rep was insistent that what I had built was NOT going to work. I was a little concerned. 

But, after walking it through with him, he realized that it would work. And work, it did! Thanks a ton for all the help! 

We're not getting the response we had hoped, but at least the technical setup of the campaign was successful. Upward from here!