Re: Segmentation and dynamic content depending on contact information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentation and dynamic content depending on contact information

Hello all,
we are planning to send out an email to our customers who are using a certain product or multiple products of our portfolio. Depending on the product they use, they should get a dedicated info text in this email.
I already read that I can use the segmentation tool and e.g. segment on product 1, product 2.....(it's 6 different kinds all in all) but I'm not really sure how I then would implement it into the email if they e.g. used product 1, 3 AND 6.
Our CRM unfortunately can not provide this infomation so we 'll have to upload a prepared file that show which products are installed.
What is the best practice to deal with this?

Thank you so much in advance!!!
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Ulrike, you'll have to create a different segment for every type of subscriber that you would have. To be honest, in this type of situation where someone might be using multiple products and you're potentially looking to send different emails based on this, then segmentation probably isn't your best bet.

The idea of segmentation is that each person can only fall into one category in a top-down cascade-type of filtering. With 6 products where someone could use multiple products, and unless your first category is "multiple products" followed by all of the individual products, then you'd have to create a different segment for every possible combination of your products.

For dynamic text, you can present different text within the email based on what segment someone is in, but again -- the idea of segments is that a person can only be in a single segment of each segmentation. So they can't be a in product 2 AND product 6. At that point, they could only be in 2 or 6 (whichever was listed first), or a "multiple products" segment. 

Hope this helps a bit. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You would have to create a separate Segmentation to do this where you have separate combinations. This isn't really ideal though since a lead can only be a member of the first segment they can match...so you'd end up with several Segmentations to handle this.

Since you can only do 1 Segment per editable area, you could just have the same text in the Segments for 1,3,6. I realize that you want to show the text when the lead uses product 1,3, and 6...not quite the same.

If you can use Email Scripting you may be able to do this based on the Product Type too. Not sure though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm okay...it's tricky. Thanks for your responses! If my stochastics knowledge is correct we have 63 different segmentations. e.g. customer with product 1 or customer with product 1 and 4 or customer with 2,3 and 6 aso..... I thought it might work if I do 6 segments and do some kind of program loop to filter e.g. if product 1 is true add the segment. If product 2 is true add the segment. aso.
So do I understand it correct that it's not possible to use Marketo for this type of problem or that I would need to convert the problem 🙂
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Ulrike like @Josh said you can switch over to Email Scripting to do this. There will be a learning curve but the customization options are pretty amazing.
Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

+1 for Email Velocity Scripting as the best way to achieve this. We did something similar for a publishing house using MKTO, where each customer bought different set of books and was delivered emails based on their purchase.