Re: REST vs SOAP API

Megan_Reed1
Level 4

REST vs SOAP API

I understand the REST API is newer than the SOAP API and both are ok to use for our custom CRM integration. But I have a few questions:
  1. Does anyone at Marketo foresee the SOAP API being unusable in the future?
  2. Will the features that are only available in the SOAP API be available for the REST API soon?
  3. What tasks, changes, etc. should we prepare for in the furture if we use the REST API?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You may find out some of these answers at developers.marketo.com. The roadmap might be there too.

Also consider asking your rep for help connecting to the right people internally. Murtza will prob answer this too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the shout out Josh.

1 - There are no plans to sunset the SOAP API, but we are not planning on adding new SOAP API features. 
2 - Yes. We hope to reach parity between REST API and SOAP API in the coming months. 
3 - I would recommend reviewing this post:
http://developers.marketo.com/blog/marketo-rest-vs-soap-apis-faq/

Lucho_Soto
Level 5

Is there an update on this and has the REST API reached parity with SOAP? The REST vs SOAP article mentions features that are found exclusively in REST but does not mention any of the features found in SOAP but not yet in REST. Does anyone know what these are?

Any help/comments are appreciated.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The Leads endpoints stand out as not having parity (they have mutually exclusive features, and I can't imagine working without the SOAP features).  As for the rest, maybe some of us should get together and do a comparison, specifically not referring to new features but only parity.

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

I'm happy to help, but there should be very few places where SOAP still has unique features that are not available in REST. One remaining one is that SFDC Campaign ID and Name are not yet returned in 'Get Program' in REST, but that's coming shortly. While REST does not support Foreign System Person ID, it does support Lookup Fields, which is a much better method.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If there's a non-clunky way to replicate getMultipleLeads with the LastUpdateAtSelector, I'm all ears.