Re: Reply back to email on same thread

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Reply back to email on same thread

Haven't found an existing discussion about this so thought I'd ask. We send an email one day after someone creates an account on our academy site, encouraging them to start a course. If they haven't done so 3 days later, we would like to send a "follow up" email like a reply to the previous email reminding them to take that action. Instead of sending a brand new email, is there a way to make it seem like a reply to the thread of the already sent email from Day 1? These emails are all coming from the program manager so our thinking is that it will look a lot more personalized if it looks like it's a reply to the first email instead of a brand new email thread.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

No, because you don't have access to the Message-ID of the outgoing email, which would be required for correct threading. 

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You could have a new email that has the  Re: subject line and then format the email like a reply with lines or >>>

Personally, I think this is a terrible thing to do and few people are fooled.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Personally, I think this is a terrible thing to do and few people are fooled.

+1 I was just in a better mood before so I didn't mention it.

sam-imagethink
Level 2

Sounds like the workarounds are a poor solution, but this should really be a feature. My sales team has had a much better success rate by replying to their own previous emails rather than sending new cold emails. I'm surprised Marketo doesn't have this capability.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@sam-imagethink ,

going re: in the subject line, and copying content over from your first email to your second email is the automated version of what your Sales team does manually.  It isn't really a work around.  

Morally however, it is pretty despicable.  When I see an organisation trying to pull the wool over my eyes by either doing this in the first email, or a 'faux follow-up' I disengage hardcore!

Cheers

Jo