Re: Pushing Marketo Segmentations to Google Analytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pushing Marketo Segmentations to Google Analytics

Hi Community!

I'm looking into some advanced integration options between Marketo and Google Analytics.

Specifically, I'd like to add Marketo segmentations to Google Analytics as a custom dimension (ie. Industry Segment = B2B)

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 12.57.20 PM.png

I understand that with Marketo RTP you can push some Marketo data (industry, category, group) to GA through a native integration (Integrate RTP with Google Universal Analytics - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation). However, I'm not an RTP customer, so it sounds like I'll need to figure out a workaround that would mirror this process for my industry segment attribute.

Based on some initial research it sounds like there is some potential to do this through a data import using the client ID as a mapping key between Marketo and GA. In this case, the client ID would be used to map my industry segment to Google Analytics as a custom dimension.

If anyone has any insight into this process, I'd really appreciate it. I'm also totally open to other ideas.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Yanir_Calisar2
Level 3

Hey Nate,

As you mentioned, to start you'll need to capture the Google's client ID.

You can use this script to automatically add it to all your marketo forms: Capture Google Analytics Client ID and Store in Marketo

Then, you set up a flow in Marketo that pushes the relevant data back to GA using a custom webhook as described on this article: https://www.stephanehamel.net/playground/MarketoGACheatSheet_SHamel_150824.pdf

Good luck!

Yanir.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But AFAIK segment names aren't exposed to standard webhooks. So you need something more robust for this specific need.

(I'm also not convinced that linking the Unique Code complies with Google's EULA, since it can be used in a public-facing URL to divulge PII.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Good catch. I had not considered the PII implications but I'll look further into this and circle back.

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yanir,

What a great resource, thanks for sharing and appreciate the help! This definitely looks like the way to go.