SOLVED

Re: Progressive Profiling working backwards?

Go to solution
Hobie_Thompson1
Level 4

Progressive Profiling working backwards?

I've experienced this for a while, but finally thought I'd ask about it. Unless I'm reading the documentation wrong, it should display extra fields set in the progressive profiling section in the form designer if a user is cookied and has previously entered the non-progressive profiling fields.

form_settings.PNG

Here, my understanding is if I've never filled my information into a form before, I'll only get the top 4 fields, but I'll get all 7 if I've entered the top 4 fields before and I haven't cleared my cookies or anything.

But, when I visit a page with this form setup as a cookied user who has entered those fields before, I get only get the first four fields:

example_cookied.PNG

However, when I clear my cookies entirely, and visit the page, as if I'm visiting for the first time, I get all seven fields (e.g., I get the progressive profiling fields):

example_non_cookied.PNG

Am I not understanding progressive profiling? Or is there something else going on here?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think I see your confusion now, Hobie. You were thinking ProgPro only begins after an initial set of data comes in. That's not so: if you have M fields in your ProgPro fieldset, and if up to N are set to display at a time, then a first-time visitor will see ​N ​fields.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

During your cookied visit, did your lead record already have an Address, Zip Code, and Phone Number?  If so, it's working correctly.  If not, it should've shown you those 3 fields, or at least any field that did not already have a value.

Hobie_Thompson1
Level 4

It did, so that answers part of my question. Why would the progressive profiling fields show up when I accessed the landing page with a cleared cache? My understanding would be I'd only get the top four fields.

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

From your screenshot, you only had the 3 fields as part of your progressive profiling.  The first 4 fields "always show".  Therefore, you'll see 7 fields altogether.  4 Fields that always show, and 3 progressive profiling fields. 

Hobie_Thompson1
Level 4

Right, but why would the 3 progressive profiling fields show up to a brand new visitor?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think I see your confusion now, Hobie. You were thinking ProgPro only begins after an initial set of data comes in. That's not so: if you have M fields in your ProgPro fieldset, and if up to N are set to display at a time, then a first-time visitor will see ​N ​fields.

Hobie_Thompson1
Level 4

Ah hah, that is definitely it. Thanks, Sandy!