SOLVED

Prerequisites for Email domain and IP configuration

Go to solution
neelambakre
Level 3

Prerequisites for Email domain and IP configuration

Hi All,

My client is new to the Marketo instance who wants to set up Email domains within Marketo for Email deliverability. I have gone through the the available Marketo documentations for set up but couldn't get clear understanding of it. The document states to insert CNAME,SPF,MX records for this set up. Who will do this ?

Can someone please provide step by step set up guidelines for Email domain/IP set up ? Is this configuration needs to be done by Marketo support ? or We only need to configure it within instance ? What are the pre requisites which are expected from client end for this set up ?

Kindly advise.

Thanks & Regards,

Neelam

Neelam Bakre
Tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Prerequisites for Email domain and IP configuration

Let's start here:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/email-marketing/deliverability/se...

You create the email domain. Meaning: You talk to the client's marketing team and ask them what their preferred from-email-domain would be. Usually something like "mail.example.com", where "mail" is the agreed upon subdomain. Some companies also like "hello.example.com" or something like that.

Then you add that domain/subdomain to Marketo, and Marketo creates Public Key and TXT value for that entry. Then you tell IT to add SPF and DKIM values to the DNS as described in the linked documents.
---

For Landing Page you will also need to define a subdomain. Like pages.example.com or content.example.com or whatever you like and whatever is not yet in use in your client's web cosmos. Because Marketo takes ownership of these subdomains.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/demand-generation/landing-pages/l...

---

And here's the documentation for branded tracking domains: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/administration/email-setup/add-mu...

Hope this helps,
Michael

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does it mean client has to provide us subdomains , one for email tracking and other for Landing page which we need to be point to Marketo's domain?

Yes. And optionally a subdomain for From: addresses, if you don’t want to send from mailbox@example.com  but from (for example) mailbox@marketing.example.com.

Why there is a need to insert DKIM & SPF records in company's primary domain's DNS as company's primary domain's is not being used for sending out email communications.

There is no need to change the SPF record for example.com, nor for any subdomain unless you deliberately want to set up a branded envelope sender (fully optional). Even with branded envelope sender the SPF record would be for envelope.example.com, not example.com.

You’d set up a DKIM record for m1._domainkey.example.com only if you’re using user@example.com as your From:. If you’re sending From: mailbox@marketing.example.com  the DKIM record would be for m1._domainkey.marketing.example.com, thus not directly under the main domain.

Let's say client has provided us "em.companyprimarydomain.com" & "lnp.companyprimarydomain.com". All we need to do is to point these domains to Marketo. Is there any need to perform IP warmup activity for these new domains?  If No, then why?

You don’t perform IP warmup activity for inbound HTTP requests.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Michael_Florin
Level 10

. The document states to insert CNAME,SPF,MX records for this set up. Who will do this ?

Your client's IT department needs to do this. It requires access to that company's DNS server which is usually IT.

Other than that there's not much to add to this document:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/email-marketing/deliverability/se...

Hand that to IT and they should be able to understand it.

And let me add right away that there are two more areas where you need IT involvement: Landing Page domains and Email Tracking Domains. After you have set these up, you can go back to Marketo Support and request SSL for these two domains.

neelambakre
Level 3

Hey @Michael_Florin ,

Thanks for the response.

I have asked below details from client end for this set up :

LandingPageCNAME

EmailPageCNAME

Account String

Tracking Link

Fallback URL for Landing page

Based on my understanding , I need to create TXT records on the basis of these values and then share it with client's IT team to configure it in their DNS server. Once they configuration these records in DNS server , I need to fill these details at instance level.

Post this configuration I need to request for SSL from support. Am I following the correct process ? Do let me know me if m missing anything.

Thanks & Regards,

Neelam

Neelam Bakre
Tags (3)
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Let's start here:

You create the email domain. Meaning: You talk to the client's marketing team and ask them what their preferred from-email-domain would be. Usually something like "mail.example.com", where "mail" is the agreed upon subdomain. Some companies also like "hello.example.com" or something like that.

Then you add that domain/subdomain to Marketo, and Marketo creates Public Key and TXT value for that entry. Then you tell IT to add SPF and DKIM values to the DNS as described in the linked documents.
---

For Landing Page you will also need to define a subdomain. Like pages.example.com or content.example.com or whatever you like and whatever is not yet in use in your client's web cosmos. Because Marketo takes ownership of these subdomains.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/demand-generation/landing-pages/l...

---

And here's the documentation for branded tracking domains: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/administration/email-setup/add-mu...

Hope this helps,
Michael

neelambakre
Level 3

Hi @Michael_Florin ,

Thanks a ton for such detailed explanation. Now I got the clear understanding of Domain configuration process. 🙂

Neelam Bakre
neelambakre
Level 3

Hi,

My client has already integrated their brand's primary domain within O365 and they can not provide any other subdomains which contains their primary domain name. In this case , client is asking us to send out emails using marketo's primary domain. For example, by using xyz.marketo.com. 

By any chance , can we send out email/configure landing pages using Marketo as a primary domain ?

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regrads,

Neelam

Neelam Bakre
SanfordWhiteman

My client has already integrated their brand's primary domain within O365 and they can not provide any other subdomains which contains their primary domain name.

That doesn’t make technical sense — there’s no such rule in DNS. Are they claiming it’s technically impossible?

You can’t use a subdomain of marketo.com in your From: header. You can use the automatically allocated mkto-nnnn.com. But this is not advised as you’re expected to handle human replies to Marketo emails. You also won’t be able to have LPs or tracked links under the client domain... have to wonder why you’d use an enterprise platform like Marketo if you don’t want to feature your brand everywhere you can!

neelambakre
Level 3

Hi @SanfordWhiteman ,

Thanks for prompt response.

Does it mean client has to provide us subdomains , one for email tracking and other for Landing page which we need to be point to Marketo's domain? and Why there is a need to insert DKIM & SPF records in company's primary domain's DNS as company's primary domain's is not being used for sending out email communications.

Let's say client has provided us "em.companyprimarydomain.com" & "lnp.companyprimarydomain.com". All we need to do is to point these domains to Marketo. Is there any need to perform IP warmup activity for these new domains?  If No, then why?

Also, Is it advisable to use Marketo's domains to send out email communications rather than using company's primary domain ?

Thanks, and regards,

Neelam B.

Neelam Bakre
SanfordWhiteman

Does it mean client has to provide us subdomains , one for email tracking and other for Landing page which we need to be point to Marketo's domain?

Yes. And optionally a subdomain for From: addresses, if you don’t want to send from mailbox@example.com  but from (for example) mailbox@marketing.example.com.

Why there is a need to insert DKIM & SPF records in company's primary domain's DNS as company's primary domain's is not being used for sending out email communications.

There is no need to change the SPF record for example.com, nor for any subdomain unless you deliberately want to set up a branded envelope sender (fully optional). Even with branded envelope sender the SPF record would be for envelope.example.com, not example.com.

You’d set up a DKIM record for m1._domainkey.example.com only if you’re using user@example.com as your From:. If you’re sending From: mailbox@marketing.example.com  the DKIM record would be for m1._domainkey.marketing.example.com, thus not directly under the main domain.

You don’t perform IP warmup activity for inbound HTTP requests.

neelambakre
Level 3

Hi @SanfordWhiteman ,

Thanks a lot for the prompt response and detailed explanation.

Regards,

Neelam B.

Neelam Bakre