SOLVED

Re: Preference Center / Unsubscribe Checkbox Auto-fill

Go to solution
Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Thanks @Crystal_Pacheco 

I verified the data on a test lead and here is an example of what the values are for our four categories. Unknown, Yes, No

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_0-1692713313482.png

Those are the same values and same case I've used in the form for display value and stored value

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_1-1692713387478.png

But still do not auto-fill correctly or at all in some cases

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_2-1692713442181.png

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Jeffrey_Tolhurs ,

This is all a bit odd...

Can you confirm the four values you selected for your test record in the form, and can you also confirm that they were stored correctly in the database?

Can you confirm you don't have a duplicate record for that email address?

And can you also confirm that you aren't filling the form in while using LP preview mode.

Cheers

Jo

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

@Jo_Pitts1 I have found that we do have leads with the same email address and I was testing with one of those...unfortunately we don't remove leads from our database either so there are either old leads with the same email as newer ones and some valid leads with the same email but maybe different name so not sure if there is a way auto-fill can still work in that situation?

I did test with a lead where it had a unique email and the auto-fill did work in the end.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Pre-fill is not affected by duplicate leads.

If you send an email to a lead and open the linked page in an incognito window/new session, it makes no difference which lead got the email, the correct information for that lead will be pre-filled.

There’s also no problem if your existing session is associated with Lead A and you receive emails only for Lead A.

However, the nature of duplicate leads makes it more likely that you have a session associated with Lead A but then receive an email for Lead B on the same machine. In this case Pre-fill will not work. But it’s not because the leads are duplicates. It’s because your existing session is a mismatch with the lead that received the email, which for security reasons disables native pre-fill. But again, that has no direct relationship to duplicates. It would be the same for any Lead A and Lead B.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

We have sent an email to a different lead and auto-fill seems to be working (first, second, third, etc. visit to the LP with form) so guessing there is an issue of some sort with the lead I was originally using! Thanks everyone for your support and guidance 🙂

Crystal_Pacheco
Level 4

Thanks for providing that info Jeffrey! It looks like your text in the form and the lead record are exactly the same, so the form should be prefilling.  It is a puzzle. 

Triple check that you enabled prefill everywhere:
1 - The form field

2 - In The admin section of your Marketo
3 - The landing page settings 

A good way to test that prefill works or not is to send a real email to yourself (the test lead) with a link to the Marketo landing page that contains the form. It needs to be a real email send and not a sample email.  Here's a quick how to send a Marketo email to an existing lead in your database.
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/getting-started-with-marketo/quick-wins/send-a...

SanfordWhiteman

I just tested your page with my email address (which is already in your database) and had no problem with Pre-Fill of any of those 4 fields, switching the values from Yes to No to Unknown for all.

There’s something wrong with your test setup.

SanfordWhiteman

I've just verified the stored value and appears I can set it to whatever I want (upper or lower) and it flows into Marketo that same way but not certain if the lead data has a set case or not? Do I verify that somewhere?🙂

What do you mean by this?

String values are always case-preserving. “NO” is not the same as “no” when it comes to a String, and Marketo will change the value accordingly.

A Boolean value may only be true, false, or null in the database. A form can send the string “no” or “NO” and Marketo will coerce either value into false. However, you shouldn’t rely on this behavior. The canonical string values that get coerced into Booleans are “yes” and “no”, lower case.

It’s still not terribly clear what you’re doing wrong, but sounds like you’re storing values in the database that aren’t allowed allowed values on the form. In that case pre-fill attempt to set the value but the core forms library will ignore the request. For example if the radio button value is “Carrot” you can’t pre-fill that with the server value “carrot”. Note that this isn’t really a Marketo thing. HTML forms always work this way, the value attribute is (must be!) case-sensitive.