SOLVED

Preference Center / Unsubscribe Checkbox Auto-fill

Go to solution
Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Preference Center / Unsubscribe Checkbox Auto-fill

Hello!

We are creating forms and landing pages in Marketo for our unsubscribe and preference center.

Our "Unsubscribed" field for the lead is a checkbox in Marketo and on our form and it is auto-filling correctly from the lead Unsubscribed value and retaining the value from the lead each time we visit the form from the link.

We have other categories of emails we ask users to set their preference for. Yes/No/Unknown in Marketo but we want to display them as a checkbox on the form (unchecked=no and checked=yes, unknown hidden)

When a user updates the checkbox on the form, the correct value flows to the lead in Marketo but when accessing the form a 2nd or 3rd time from an unsub link in our email, the value is not auto-filling to the right value that is in Marketo, always gets set to unchecked (No). We have auto-fill enabled on the three levels but not sure what we are doing wrong and want to know how we can get the checkbox to auto-fill to the correct value. Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Preference Center / Unsubscribe Checkbox Auto-fill

I just tested your page with my email address (which is already in your database) and had no problem with Pre-Fill of any of those 4 fields, switching the values from Yes to No to Unknown for all.

There’s something wrong with your test setup.

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman

Pre-fill is not affected by duplicate leads.

If you send an email to a lead and open the linked page in an incognito window/new session, it makes no difference which lead got the email, the correct information for that lead will be pre-filled.

There’s also no problem if your existing session is associated with Lead A and you receive emails only for Lead A.

However, the nature of duplicate leads makes it more likely that you have a session associated with Lead A but then receive an email for Lead B on the same machine. In this case Pre-fill will not work. But it’s not because the leads are duplicates. It’s because your existing session is a mismatch with the lead that received the email, which for security reasons disables native pre-fill. But again, that has no direct relationship to duplicates. It would be the same for any Lead A and Lead B.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Jeffrey_Tolhurs ,

silly question.  Are the checked/unchecked values in the checkbox the same as are being returned from the lead?  I know they should be, but just wanted to check.

Cheers

Jo

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

@Jo_Pitts1 The checked/unchecked values in the checkbox are actually not the same as what's on the lead. They are simply all set to yes.

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

We're missing some info here. What is the datatype of the field you're trying to use as a tri-state (yes/no/unknown)? You can't use a Boolean for that. Even though it's nullable in the db, false and null have the same meaning on forms.

It's also not clear how you expect to hide a field if that same field has a certain value. Visibility Rules don't work that way.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman 

I am not certain what the datatype of the fields are but they appear as dropdowns in Marketo with only two options.

Where would we find more details on the datatype?

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_0-1691587680657.png

The form builder lets us use a checkbox so by default, the yes/no/unknow are hidden. 

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_1-1691587867481.png

Only when I use checkboxes, select, or radio do all the options appear but the auto-fill still does not work.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_2-1691587907393.png

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_3-1691587975523.png

When set to radio buttons, one of the radio defaults to No but that is not even the correct value that is on the lead in Marketo. The Properties of the radio buttons are all the same as each other so not sure why just this one is setting itself to No and not carrying over the value it's set to on the lead in Marketo.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs_4-1691588508954.png

Sahil_Kumar_Chh
Level 2

@Jeffrey_Tolhurs - Would it possible for you to share the web link of the landing page?

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Crystal_Pacheco
Level 4

Hi @Jeffrey_Tolhurs !
First, be sure that prefill is enabled in the Admin section > Landing Pages of your Marketo instance.
Next, check that the form field has pre-fill enabled inside the Marketo form editor.
If all that is set correctly move on to the next step.

Be sure to check the character case of the yes, no, unknown data stored in your form. I once had the issue where the checkbox was either true/false and it wasn't pre-filling for the known lead. The issue was in the Marketo form we had set the value to True/False . Make sure the character case matches in the form and the lead data.Admin sectionAdmin sectionPrefill enabled in the landing page section of Marketo adminPrefill enabled in the landing page section of Marketo adminPrefill enabled on the form fieldPrefill enabled on the form fieldCharacter case check in the lead dataCharacter case check in the lead data

Tags (2)
Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Hi @Crystal_Pacheco !!

Thanks for reaching out and supporting!

We have verified that the prefill is enabled in Admin > Landing Pages and form field.

I've just verified the stored value and appears I can set it to whatever I want (upper or lower) and it flows into Marketo that same way but not certain if the lead data has a set case or not? Do I verify that somewhere?

Thanks!! 🙂

Crystal_Pacheco
Level 4

Check the lead database. You can create a test lead for your purpose, like jeffrey+test@email.com by filling out your form with your preferences selected. 
- Search the database for your test lead.
- Select the lead I.D. number to enter the lead's stored data in your Marketo instance.
- Go on the Info tab to see how your subscription data is stored by finding the field names that are used for the form. Are there checkboxes selected? Is it a string field that's written (true, false)? 
Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 3.11.23 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-21 at 3.11.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-21 at 3.12.16 PM.png