Re: Opt in are becoming opted-out

sam_shah2k
Level 1

Opt in are becoming opted-out

Hi -  in a recent campaign I have noticed that our marketable database has reduced. 

A few months ago a series of invites were sent out and those that submitted a form became opt-out because they did not selected the opt in check box (they were already opted-in).

How do I ensure their opt-in value does not change and remains the same if no action is taken?

Thanks!   

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

This should be easy, you can create a smart campaign to revert the opt-in to TRUE if the data is changed due to the respective form-fill activity and if the previous email opt-in value was True. I can explain more on the campaign setup, if required. But there’s a catch here, you wouldn't be able to determine if the person did or did not deliberately skipped the field while submitting the form. It wouldn’t be appropriate to update the opt-in field back to True for the people who left it blank deliberately while submitting the form thinking that it’d opt them out from the Marketing emails (i.e., voluntary opt-out). There's a very similar thread here that discusses this conundrum. You can setup form pre-fills so that the field value don't get over-written with the default False values at least for the known people if they don't make any choice while submitting the form.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I think the issue is your field type. If it's a boolean field, if they don't check it, it will push the "false" value. If you use a string field, you can control this better.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think the issue is your field type. If it's a boolean field, if they don't check it, it will push the "false" value. If you use a string field, you can control this better.

You may be thinking of Checkbox vs. Checkboxes field type, but yep: use the Checkboxes field type (with only a single checkbox in the list) if you don’t want the field to be updated if the box is unchecked.

Checkbox always sends “yes” or “no” with no exceptions.

Checkboxes sends “yes” only if the box is checked, otherwise sends nothing.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@sam_shah2k ,

I think you need to consider the campaign architecture:

• Why was the campaign executed?
  • What was the intended consequence of no action being taken? 
  • How were they opted out?

Once you answer those things, we might be able to come up with some answers.

Cheers

Jo