Re: One landing page for multiple downloads

Anonymous
Not applicable

One landing page for multiple downloads

We have multiple pieces of content on the website and have a thank you page when the content is downloaded.  Is there a way of creating one thank you page that just changes the name of the content downloaded rather than creating a page for every piece of content?  The thank you page is triggered from a form.
Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You could potentially do this using javascript and jquery. The code will listen for the referrer URL and any IDs and then generate the appropriate thank you text and download link. This would be on your site.

A segmentation won't work because you could have more than 100 pieces of content and different downloads.

i'd generally say don't bother because it'll be harder to setup GA goals if you don't have an experienced GA coder. It will also be harder to manage a system that points to a single page.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@June D Is the Thank You page rendered after the user clicks to download the content?  Or is the download link on the Thank You page?
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are creating a program for each piece of content anyways, you could have a tokenized thank you page that is unique for each content piece but requires almost no additional setup time. This is quite scalable and could be easily maintainable too if you set up your page templates well. Otherwise yes passing the values as URL parameters and inserting them into the page with JavaScript. However, I'm not sure of the benefit of doing that versus the first approach.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, can you please share more details about how you would set up a tokenized thank you page?  It sounds like the approach I'm going for to set up a universal Thank You page with dynamic link unique to the content downloaded. Thanks!

Dan_Stevens_

@June - it sounds like you're using embedded forms on your external website, correct (and the thank-you pages are separate pages on your website, not Marketo landing pages)?  If so, use the method found here (we do this on our site): http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/websites/forms-2-0/ (option #2).  I think this is the approach Josh had in mind as well.  While this doesn't allow you to use a single landing page, it does allow you to use a single form for all gated content. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could do this using a little-known segmentation technique where you populate landing page pieces using URL parameters. 

For example, you could create a segmentation called "LP1" and have segments "seg1" "seg2" and "seg3".

Pull these segments into your thank you page and use dynamic elements where desired.

Then, when you pull up your thank you page, and call this segment in the URL parameter, it'll show the content you want: info.domain.com/thank-you-page.html?LP1=seg2 will pull the seg2 content.
Ellen_Albright
Level 2

I am trying to implement your suggestion re: URL parameters, segments and dynamic elements for one common thank you page. I think I have everything set up as it should be however, when I submit the form it doesn't take me to the dynamic content defined by segment immediately as I would like. I have to refresh the page which makes me assume this is the time it takes for a lead to be added to a segment. Is this the case?

Can you recommend a solution or am I missing something?

Dan_Stevens_

Wouldn't this only work with Marketo landing pages? I don't think she's using Marketo landing pages here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dan,

I'm not entirely sure if June is using an external platform or Marketo to host the download page, but either would work with this method. You'd just need to pass the asset information in the URL parameters. It'd even work with a previously anonymous lead.

I'm sure the coding way works like a charm as well, but I'm just trying to surface a way to do it without code, as many Marketo users do not have a developer resource readily available.