Re: Newsletter suddenly classified as 'phishing' by Microsoft. Now what?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I replaced our two instances of the commented sections in our CSS with "MS email client". 

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Brilliant, Courtney!  Just changed two instances of this in our template and we're back in business!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue just today! I thought it might be a code we're implementing to identify bot clicks - 1x1pixel link. The URL was not a real link so we switch it out and added an extra code to the end so that it was unique. I resent the same email that was flagged as phishing to myself and I got no alert saying it was spam phishing. Is there more to do to prevent this, sounds like it was bigger than my bot link thing?

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Hi Tiffany,

I read this from word to the wise on twitter:

People throughout the industry are reporting phishing notices in a lot of mail going through Microsoft properties this morning. I even got one in an email from one of my clients earlier today

Multiple people have talked to employees inside Microsoft, and I suspect their customers have been blowing up support about this. I know they’re aware, I suspect they’re frantically working on a fix.

Update 11 am PDT: It appears this filter is firing when mail has the word “hotmail” in it. This includes if non displaying text (like CSS) has the word in it. It feels like they were attempting to mitigate something and wrote a rule that wasn’t quite right. Still no word on a fix, but don’t panic.

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Word on the street is that Microsoft has resolved this issue. I just ran a test on our email that was marked as phishing this AM and it worked fine.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Carla_Villaverd
Level 1

Sent one to my email address. Didn't show the message.

Anna_Fuerstena4
Level 2

It's working fine for me as well.

Shelly_Wilson
Level 3

Samsies. Alerts I send myself from Marketo (example when lead completes form) are now arriving to Outlook with phising warnings

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

Today it seems the phishing alert is no longer appearing on the mail I started this thread with, however it's now classified as spam. Quite an improvement 😞