Re: Newsletter suddenly classified as 'phishing' by Microsoft. Now what?

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

Newsletter suddenly classified as 'phishing' by Microsoft. Now what?

Today, for the first time, we got a message from a newsletter subscriber thatMicrosoft classified our message as phishing.

Did anybody bump into this issue? Any ideas how we could try to solve this?

SPF / DKIM should be ok we were told, even though the screen states 'Pending Configuration' for one of the domains.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gerard.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 15.15.52.png

unnamed.jpg

28 REPLIES 28
Janna_Botha
Level 1

I'm having the same exact issue.   I wonder if Microsoft recently updated their security settings?    I tried changing the content of the email, sending, everything and all of it is flagged as phishing by O365.

Will_Thomas
Level 3

We had the same issue starting today - all emails we sent are getting flagged as potential phishing attempts, even ones we have been sending for years.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Same thing happened to us today.  And this was for an internal newsletter to our Marketing team (about 100 people).  And we have whitelisted all of Marketo's IP address ranges internally (and have SPF and branded sender domain configured properly).  We have never had issues in sending internal emails from Marketo.  Definitely a setting/update that Microsoft applied to their Exchange/O365 servers.  Deliverability was tough previously.  Now it's next to impossible (when sending to Exchange clients - which is the majority of our audiences) unless there's some way to change this.  Although the thing is, the emails are being delivered - but with a that top/pink phishing banner at the top of the email message.

pastedImage_0.png

Oliver_Zosel
Level 3

We've had automated internal confluence updates get flagged as phishing as well. I think it's safe to say this is an Outlook thing and not related to MATs. We've had Marketo and Hubspot emails get diverted at times, but not consistently.

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Same thing happened to us today as well with an internal email. Just submitted a ticket to support.

Will_Thomas
Level 3

I just built and sent one of Marketo's example templates to myself and it still had the phishing warning - but a blank template text email didn't have a warning.  Looks like it's something to do with more complex html.

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Same thing happened with me. Text emails are okay, but html emails have the phishing alert.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

I forwarded along this topic to our Deliverability team to check into this.  Looking at Twitter though, it might be something going on with Microsoft/Outlook.  I see someone tweeting at Hubspot support asking why all their emails are being marked as phishing attempts with Microsoft too....

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yeah, I don't think this is a Marketo issue - but rather an issue that is impacting any marketing automation/email service provider vendor.  But on the other hand, it is a Marketo issue if emailing to Microsoft/O365 audiences are now going to be flagged like this.  Considering Microsoft themselves are a Marketo customer, let's hope that some sort of resolution can be identified.