Newsletter suddenly classified as 'phishing' by Microsoft. Now what?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Newsletter suddenly classified as 'phishing' by Microsoft. Now what?

I replaced our two instances of the commented sections in our CSS with "MS email client". 

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Brilliant, Courtney!  Just changed two instances of this in our template and we're back in business!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue just today! I thought it might be a code we're implementing to identify bot clicks - 1x1pixel link. The URL was not a real link so we switch it out and added an extra code to the end so that it was unique. I resent the same email that was flagged as phishing to myself and I got no alert saying it was spam phishing. Is there more to do to prevent this, sounds like it was bigger than my bot link thing?

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Hi Tiffany,

I read this from word to the wise on twitter:

People throughout the industry are reporting phishing notices in a lot of mail going through Microsoft properties this morning. I even got one in an email from one of my clients earlier today

Multiple people have talked to employees inside Microsoft, and I suspect their customers have been blowing up support about this. I know theyโ€™re aware, I suspect theyโ€™re frantically working on a fix.

Update 11 am PDT: It appears this filter is firing when mail has the word โ€œhotmailโ€ in it. This includes if non displaying text (like CSS) has the word in it. It feels like they were attempting to mitigate something and wrote a rule that wasnโ€™t quite right. Still no word on a fix, but donโ€™t panic.

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Word on the street is that Microsoft has resolved this issue. I just ran a test on our email that was marked as phishing this AM and it worked fine.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Carla_Villaverd
Level 1

Sent one to my email address. Didn't show the message.

Anna_Fuerstena4
Level 2

It's working fine for me as well.

Shelly_Wilson
Level 3

Samsies. Alerts I send myself from Marketo (example when lead completes form) are now arriving to Outlook with phising warnings

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

Today it seems the phishing alert is no longer appearing on the mail I started this thread with, however it's now classified as spam. Quite an improvement ๐Ÿ˜ž